1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor fired thanks to Publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Apr 30, 2007.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

My editor at which I freelance for got the boot from her Publisher because they "couldn't agree on certain things." She always told me she was trying to change the paper for the better, making the operation more organized. She didn't see her termination coming.

What I want to is has this ever happened to any of you, a firing out of nowhere? How would you deal with it? I know if I got canned, I'd be depressed and wouldn't no where to start. (Well, college would be one option.)

Let's give some prep tips for dooms day.
  2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

find a steak knife you can easily palm and keep it close.
  3. oldhack

oldhack Member

Tip #1: Read this stuff before you post it.
  4. lono

lono Active Member

Tip #2: Stay in the business long enough and you'll see editors fired, reporters fired, publishers fired and janitors fired.

And if you're really lucky, you'll work at a newspaper when it's sold to some penny-pinching chain whose idea of quality journalism begins and ends with the P&L statement. Then the hilarity really ensues.
  5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Tip No. 3: Stop stating the obvious ... man eaten by lion, thanks to lion.

publishers fire people. i think it's even in the job description. make mine a pyramid rook.
Draft saved Draft deleted