1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor fired over Saban column?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've never understood columns that quote stories in other papers. Even if the quotes are accurate, what service have you provided?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn.

You'd like to say that it could never happen to you.

But damn.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Um, you have filled a hole on your page?

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, but i try to make it a practice that i never write a column regarding a beat I don't actually cover. trusting second-hand information like that can lead to......well, ya know....this.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

What a dumb ass. If didn't even pick up the phone and try and contact the nonexistent Steve Reeves, he deserves to be fired!

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As an incredible aside, there actually is someone who is named Steve Reeves practicing journalism in Alabama. He is, I believe, assistant city editor at the Tuscaloosa News.

rb

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

Unfortunate story. Obviously, an egregious mistake, but I think someone working 60 hours a week and making peanuts at a Gannett newspaper in Bayou La Bumblefuck deserves a little more sympathy than someone working at a major metro.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Having worked at a Gannett newspaper in Louisiana, I can say they're asking for more of this and other problems the more they cut staff, insist upon more and sexier stories, more mainstreaming, more meetings, no overtime pay, less travel money and say they can make do with fewer checks and balances in place.

I'll even go so far as to say I expect that within a year there will be another major gaffe at one of their papers in this state, one that will be in the same no-no ballpark.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You all blame Gannett. I think this is a stealth plan by Nick Saban to get all the reporters in the world fired.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

SEE! It's a damn plot! I just got the wrong ding-dong in Tuscaloosa! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted