1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor, Carolina Blue magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MrWrite, Dec 9, 2011.

1. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

JOB POSTING

Editor
    Carolina Blue Magazine
    Chapel Hill, NC

Carolina Blue magazine is an independent publication covering University of North Carolina
    athletics. This is a home office based position. The print magazine is published up to 12 times a
    year and is published digitally only as an “Express” edition each week during football season and
    basketball season. The website www.carolinablue.com is a joint effort with 247sports.com and
    is a critical component of the publication.

The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial, results-oriented college sports enthusiast. This
    person must have news experience and must understand and meet the needs of readers/fans.
    Additionally, the ideal candidate will have a strong interest in improving operating results, with
    the willingness and ability to participate in promotions, advertising sales, subscriber growth
    campaigns, etc.

QUALIFICATIONS:
    • Editorial experience – applicant must have an ability to organize, lay out, edit and produce a
    publication on short deadlines and long hours
    • Ability to operate a provided Windows 7 PC with associated software, including Adobe
    InDesign CS4, Photoshop, Acrobat, Word and Excel
    • An entrepreneurial approach to business to capitalize on convergence of print and online
    • A high level of interest in college sports, preferably University of North Carolina
    • An ability to identify and capitalize on new opportunities
    • Good organizational and interpersonal skills

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
    • Meet financial goals
    • Maintain good working relationships with the athletic department and boosters
    • Increase paid circulation
    • Grow advertising – the publication requires successful advertising sales
    • Develop new revenue streams
    • Write stories/columns for the print product as well as the website
    • Active presence on website message board

Interested persons should contact:

Ed Magoni
    General Manager
    Inside Indiana
    Bloomington, IN 47401
    (812) 320-6663
    E-mail: ed@insideiu.com

Please notify your immediate supervisor and LCNI Human Resource Director if making
    application for this position. The deadline for applications is December 23, 2011.

Equal Opportunity Employer

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Horrible job. :D :D :D :D

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I can think of some former co-workers who would jump on this if they had the chance. Wonder if they will......

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The only detraction could be the work in selling ads. Is that a major part of the job, or is there someone else who works for the magazine who has that job as the majority of their time?

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Single, under 25, and enjoy living in a closet while eating 7/11 coneys 4 days a week? Come on down. This is your dream job. Otherwise, not so much.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's an independent site but a Landmark holding? I was just a little baffled as to why applicants would send their stuff to Indiana.

Sounds like a FT position -- wonder if the "home-office-based" means it's contract. Doesn't seem like it, though, especially the part about current employees notifying HR about applying.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Tells me it's a one-man, publish-from-home operation ...

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Guys, this is a 24/7Sports gig. This should pay fairly well, especially if you're single. I'm guessing at least in the 30s.

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

It's not a 247sports gig.

It's Landmark's community division -- LCNI. They own several of these sports mags.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My bad. But the joint venture with 24/7, to me, indicates decent funding.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I forget how many of them, but LCNI also counts Kentucky's The Cats Pause and Florida's mag among its publications.

And since I'm at an LCNI shop, I might apply for this even if I may not have that much experience.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I would hope for a salary considerably higher than "at least in the 30s" for a job like that, even if you're young and/or single. If you've got the experience to do that kind of job, you should warrant some of that feel-good management money. And you're probably gonna be working your ass off, so it oughta be worth some good bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted