1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor behind "Headless Body in Topless Bar" headline passes on

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by britwrit, Jun 10, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

New York Post editor Vincent Musetto dies on Tuesday.

Just from reading the story, about the 1983 murder in question, I was just struck by how different the city was back then:

The genius behind ‘Headless Body in Topless Bar’ headline dies at 74 | New York Post

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

That headline will always be memorable, as will the New York Daily News headline from the '70s: "Ford to City: Drop Dead"

And I can't remember which paper printed it, but it was either the Post or Daily News that ran "Maris Traded to Angels" when Roger Maris passed away after a long battle with cancer.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There has to be a way to resize images in posts, doesn't there? I could do it in the old format.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

My second all time favorite headline came when the Trenton Psychiatric Hospital caught fire (minor) in 2002 and The Trentonian ran the headline "Roasted Nuts".

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    Woody Long likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The question I would have asked the headline writer: What did the Angels give up?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“Joe Who?” was a great headline that greatly backfired.

I remain partial to Osama bin Wankin. Still makes me laugh years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted