1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editing - Which version is better?

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Chiefdom, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Chiefdom

Chiefdom New Member

Thanks guys, you are free to help others!

2. Chiefdom

Chiefdom New Member

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

My feedback is you should be glad I wasn't your editor, or what would have run would have looked like this:

4. Chiefdom

Chiefdom New Member

Care to elaborate more specifically? I'd really be appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

More specifically, if you're still in college and you're already advocating circumstantial evidence over the gathering of facts, then I think you need to ask your school for a tuition refund.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

OK, back to this. I see some extra words that were taken out. I also see some changes such as breaking up sentences that I wouldn't necessarily have made. But I don't think they're bad changes.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I would do that, except I have yet to see anything more than superficial changes. Substantially it seems to be much the same between versions.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Well, the edit missed the fact that it was Justin Gatlin and not someone named Chris Gatlin who was suspended for testing positive.

When the facts aren't right, the rest of it really doesn't matter.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I agree with the changes to the first graf, but I wouldn't have made the same change and created the sentence fragment in the second graf.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If this hasn't run yet, then you could knock "A few months ago" out of the lede.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now I'm confuzzled. So is it going to run with Chris Gatlin as the name?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Not to overstep here, but if the original text has been removed, this thread may as well be deleted.

Draft saved Draft deleted