1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editing quibble on SI Tebow story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Opposing abortion does not make you a lunatic. Calling medical professionals who are performing medical procedures murderers makes you a lunatic.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You're just playing word games. If someone thinks abortion is murder, then naturally they would call people performing abortions murderers. You may not agree with that line of thinking, but you might just be a lunatic.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

This is another example that proves the rule: Don't put your words inside someone else's quote. If something isn't clear, truncate the quote, or introduce the quote, or follow the quote. But if you're dropping a word the person said, and you're putting in the quote marks instead a word of your choosing, then you fail to understand the function of a quotation.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Editing a word in isn't SI's only problem this week:

In Albert Chen's "The Running Man" on baserunning, he cites a 2006 book called "Baseball Between the Numbers" cowritten by Rays' baseball operations coordinator James Click in which Click argues that Rickey Henderson's 130 stolen bases in 1985 gave him just an extra two runs over Pete Incaviglia's (the real guy, not the SJ poster) season because Henderson was caught stealing 42 times.

He then quotes Click on his two-run conclusion.

Only problem is, Henderson stole his 130 bases in 1982!

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He was better in 1985. That lineup, 1-4 was awesome.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't think the story sucked but otherwise do agree with your assessment. Nothing new here, move along.

Life - a heartbeat, blood flow, digestion, brain activity, neurological activity - doesn't begin when the baby is born. That is a medical fact. Late-term abortions are as heinous as taking a 3-day old child from his crib and suctioning out his brains or slicing off limbs via "medical procedures."

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And where is the evidence that anyone in the Tebow family did that?

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

If we can leave aside the abortion debate for a minute, the story seemed to me to be an honest attempt to deal with how crucial religion (and service) is to Tebow's makeup. But it was definitely written from the point of view of someone (Austin Murphy) who was impressed by the Tebow family's passion and dedication, maybe too much so. Those of us who grew up around Christian Fundamentalism might have written the story differently.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The story layed it on THICK ... I get the whole Tebow and how saintly he is, but I expected a lot more from an Austin Murphy story.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just getting caught up on my SIs. What struck me about the Tebow piece was the picture accompanying the article - Tebow must have been wearing about four or five of those "bands." Livestrong, Gatorstrong, Christrong, Tebowstrong.....
    And if his faith is a literal interpretation of the Bible, will he even play on Sundays?

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

His faith is selectively literal, so when the paycheck comes ... the answer is yes.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

if jason elam, kurt warner, etc. can play on sundays, so can tebow. i don't think he's ever stated it as a problem. plus, you can't be a christian warrior without the warrior.

Draft saved Draft deleted