1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editing quibble on SI Tebow story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Other possible reasons it could have been changed to [aborted]:

(1) Maybe he said something more graphic (i.e. sucked out and strangled) or however they do it.
    (2) It's also possible that if his language graphically described the procedure, maybe he was factually wrong about it. I know, then you would use [sic] - but... there will be the reader who think the editors meant [sick] and ...

The word "aborted" seems fine to me.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lunatic Christian is a completely unfair characterization and indicates your obvious bias against Christians. He was raised the way he was raised. It wasn't on some ranch in Waco or a poligamist compound in Utah. At this point, past the age of 18, he's obviously free to live his own life.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Add my thoughts as well because we all know that the abortion issue is settled in this country.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's still a relevant part of Tebow's background. What in-depth profile doesn't tell you something about the parents? If anybody were to write a profile on me -- and that wouldn't be a particularly compelling story -- the author would be delinquent if he or she failed to mention that my dad taught me a respect for the language because he was an English teacher and a poet. Just part of the deal.
    If Tebow's dad thinks abortion is murder and his son is also an openly religious person and demonstrative player, the connection and relevance seem obvious to me.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Anyone else think the story sucked anyways? I don't think there was anything uncovered that hadn't been in the 6,000 stories and TV pieces that preceded it.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, Tom Watson lost the playoff, so they had to have something.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing, Hondo. Probably not unlike when Brady got the cover several weeks ago because Danica didn't win Indy.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Can't remember a college athlete having more written about him. I'm not sure Tebow has new Tebow stories to tell.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's the ticket.

Either than, or change [aborted] to [eaten]

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You either use the quote as is, then elaborate if need be, or paraphrase it. You sure the hell don't make it something that raises more questions.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

On the bright side, SI has again changed up its back-page column sig. Gone are the courtroom-sketch rendtions and now it's a photo of a smiling Phil Taylor. I think it's their fourth back-page presentation in the past year. I want the dot-matrix pointilism art mugs back!

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

1) I agree the edit raised more questions than it answered.

2) I also agree that "lunatic Christian" is a totally unfair and inaccurate characterization of someone who opposes abortion. Disagreeing with you doesn't make someone a lunatic. As someone else noted, it's not like this debate it settled in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted