1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Editing" a story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by millseyboy11, Nov 17, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll take it a step further: Don't sweat anything written on deadline, especially on a prep football night.

Having been on both sides of it, both sides have to cut corners. Your desk will bail your ass out as many times as they piss you off.

Have you hugged your desker today? ;)

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Both ledes sucked, but not every story is War And Peace.

And listen to my man, Zeke. Always take time to thank the desk. They'll bail your ass out more often than not.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Write high school games as if no one knows who won, so early details are important. That said, changing one ho-hum lead for another? I would hope the desk has more captions to check or scores to chase.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think that's the case with all gamers, though. Write as if you're telling your buddy at the bar what happened. It doesn't matter if it is a high school, college or professional game.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I have a personal policy that I stop reading as soon as I see the first overused cliche. Cheese and humor I like, but cliches and sweeping generalizations about adages, rules of the game, etc. . . . . ugh. They elicit a guffaw.

Your desk tried to do you a favor, and instead replaced on cliche with another. It's one story. You'll learn to write better leads as you continue.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

They both blow.

7. millseyboy11

millseyboy11 Guest

Thanks for the feedback, I'm young and trying to improve. I do appreciate the copy desk, I just would have appreciated a call from them so I could know why, since both openings were sub-par at best, mine was changed.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I will say that there should have be a discussion between you and the desk about the lede. That said, you should have probably called after edition locked up. Then you and the copy editor would have had some time to talk about the change and time to collaborate on something better.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you probably don't put another score before the final score in the lede, though, do you?

10. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Well, if you're young and trying to improve, you shouldn't be "pissed" about the change. You should go and talk to the desk and see why they changed it. (I think I know why they did. Your lede was more than a little on the cliche side. And aren't all sports won in the end, not the beginning? Just askin.)

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't know. Some high school Fridays this just isn't possible. It's way too busy on the desk. Ideally, any time a lead is changed the writer would be called, and on big games definitely. But I can see if it's a gamer on the inside or even out front on a smaller game how the desk would just rewrite and get it done and not be able to spend much time discussing it with the writer.

12. millseyboy11

millseyboy11 Guest

I talked to the desk today, the lede was changed because it was shit and it was too long. I can accept that, I just got pissed because I didn't know why it was changed. This is my first stop at a daily, so I'm not used to writing something and then seeing it differently in print.
    Turns out, my reaction was probably worse than my lede. Two lessons learned, time to move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted