1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editers? Who need 'em?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Old Time Hockey, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Read the entire memo, if you haven't.
    Desperate measures at every turn now.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This. And as you point out, it's not just our business. Cutting corners is the cool thing to do.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Sorry to see this. I talked with Jeff Faraudo quite a bit a long time ago on the Pac-10 beat. You always hope a person can go out on his own terms. A really good guy.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the cutlines that make it in. At least he acknowledged the value of the editing process and that quality matters. They just don't give a shit. Feel slightly bad for the guy who wrote the memo. He likely didn't have much choice in the matter but gets to be the one to explain and take the heat.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sounds like that guy understands the process and is smiling through his tears. Dude, how does the bullet taste that you just bit?
    As I read through, I just shook my head until I got to the part about captions and that produced out-loud laughter. Hey, photogs, you have to know grammar and you have to spell names correctly. HAHAHA.
    The assignment editors are usually among the most talented on the staff. How long until their workload drives them batty?
    Friday night prep football? Welcome to my nightmare.

Batman and Bronco77 like this.
  6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I really don't see why editors are that important....no one will notice, right?

[​IMG]

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But hey, got the second period score in the caption.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For details of this story, go to startribune.com.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That Jim Souhan's a hell of a writer!

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

According to his Twitter feed, he took a buyout.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't want to think about it, especially when so many are cut and paste boilerplate that couldn't possibly get effed up, right? Or dude doesn't get id's and we get "Podunk High's #20 passes to #33 during Friday's game against Podunk Tech?"

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was sad to read but interesting. It started out with annoying corporate speak. (Hey, we are cutting FTEs, not people.) Then it became more real, resigned and no BS about how the product is going to be even better because they are using their resources well or whatever shine they try to put on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted