1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editers? Who need 'em?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Old Time Hockey, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

The downward spiral continues: BANG lays off more copy editors, prepares to run copy with very little review.

"Staff stories that go inside sections will not be copy-edited. The assigning editor will be the only read. (In sports, late stories that do not go through an assigning editor will continue to be read on the desk, once.) Stories for our East Bay weeklies will not be copy-edited."

Man, I would hate this. Even though I generally wrote pretty clean copy, I had some editors save my butt a number of times.

» Bay Area News Group memo: ‘We will be eliminating a layer of valuable editing’ JIMROMENESKO.COM

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jeebus Cripes. Any wealthy San Jose family willing to buy the Merc?

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My local newspaper (which still probably ranks within the top 50 in print circulation, for what that's worth these days) operates under a system very similar to the one outlined above. The amount of awfulness that makes it into print is off the charts. And it goes beyond stories with typos or grammatical/fact errors -- headline busts and bad cutlines are daily occurrences.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think I've said this before, but any firm creating and selling a product that decides quality control is too expensive to maintain is headed for a bad end. Customers notice.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yep.

When I was in school, not all that long ago, we were nudged toward the desk if we showed any remote interest. "They can always hire freelancers instead of reporters, but they'll always need editors." Some of us bought into it, too.

reformedhack likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just shut down if you can't have proper quality control. "Boss, we testing the brakes on these cars?" "Fuck it."

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

When I was hired at my last newspaper job, I mentioned to the editor that the last newsroom had gone through many cycles of staffers having their jobs eliminated and reapplying for different job titles.

He told there would be no need to look over my shoulder. Despite staffing cuts, about 5 percent of the staff a year, the paper would always need a metro editor.

When I left, I was not replaced.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They'll just wait to be awarded it in the future libel suit.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The number of errors, typos, extra/missing words I see on a daily basis in my own paper is disturbing. It's the same with the competing paper. But that's what happens when you have no time to operate. It's sad, really.

wicked and reformedhack like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Among so many departing Friday: Long-time Cal football and hoops guy Jeff Farudo.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is so sad but too common. It also puts an impossible load on anyone who still cares about the product. Especially in sports.

You spend the day planning out the space to the inch then the night editing.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought of while reading this is the current NASCAR controversy where they've stopped enforcing the rule that you have to tighten every lug nut on pit stops. This feels like part of the same idea. In 21st century America, devoting the time and resources to doing a thorough, responsible job is considered the sucker play.

murphyc, Ace and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted