1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EDITED: N.Y. Rangers' Sean Avery in hospital with lacerated spleen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: ESPN reporting N.Y. Rangers' Sean Avery rushed to hospital in cardiac arrest

More importantly, now that we know he's OK, what does this mean for his summer internship at Vogue?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: ESPN reporting N.Y. Rangers' Sean Avery rushed to hospital in cardiac arrest

Sounds like they got it totally wrong?
    How does that happen?
    First, which source would give them such a BS story and second, why didn't they check that out first?

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Just for clarification. Cardiac arrest means you ARE dead, though there is hope for resuscitation.

Splenic injuries are pretty common and with the ability to visualize the injury by CT scan and monitor patients closely, surgery is usually not needed. A generation ago, the potential of a spleen injury meant a big abdominal incision and spleen removal. Now it may mean laparoscopy with spleen repair. Splenic injuries can be fatal, especially in the spleen is rutured or the splenic artery or vein damaged, but often the treatment is watchful waiting.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Glad to see he's gonna be OK so I can now repeat what my Hindu friend said about the incident: karma's a bitch.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm gonna disagree there...is he an agitator? Yes, but no one, NO ONE deserves to be injured to the point of a potential fatal result.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do I get two minutes for laughing at it?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But it wasn't fatal and he's gonna recover fully.

First thing I said to my friend Dinesh, "Can't stand the guy, but I hope he's gonna be OK".

That's when he came up with his karma line

Given who it is a little schadenfreude is appropriate

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely. Maybe even a little Shayne Corson.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Unless the hooker is the one who lacerated his spleen, it has no business in the story.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I gotta figure how to make a Spitzer reference in here.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

If you want hookers with lacerated spleens, read The Devil in Sonny Liston. I think ol' Sonny's sex life was the source for the term "pork sword."

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Pork Sword" would be a great name for a band.

Draft saved Draft deleted