1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Edit] Shots fired on Virginia Tech's campus, two killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

CNN had a report saying a weapon was found near the second body, which would add credence to that theory. And earlier reports of more gunfire at a different part of campus were later said to be false.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Let's hope that's the case. And may he rot in fucking hell for killing a cop.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What is with Virginia Tech and shootings? If I'm a parent of a high school senior and my kid is set on being a Hokie, I would reconsider. Something is awry there.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Would you send your kid to VCU? To JMU?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This strikes me very much as a shooting on a campus, rather than a campus shooting. People kill cops during traffic stops in lots of places other than Virginia Tech.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with the idea that there's no such thing as a "routine traffic stop," but doesn't it cease to be one once the guy starts shooting?

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Please.

I went with one of my kids on a prospective student tour there in the fall of 2007. We both liked the school. Great school.

He was accepted but decided to go elsewhere for reasons unrelated to what took place.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Very strange story as the driver apparently wasn't the gunman. A third party approached the cop during the stop and killed him, then, presumably, shot himself later in the parking lot.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-va-tech-shooter-not-person-pulled-over-220124498.html

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My daughter is a VT Student, now. I've been talking with her in her dorm all day.

Our family's prayers are with the officer's family.

She loves the school and the community.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is random crap. Tech is just as safe, or unsafe, as any other university.

The police sort of have egg on their faces right now if the guy was there, and dead, all along.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Policeman was a 39-year-old with five kids. Jeez.

And why on earth do they have egg on their faces for taking every possible precaution until they were sure?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/officials-gunman-found-dead-after-killing-virginia-tech-officer

Ballistics tests officially have linked the two killings to the same gun, but the news release did not give any other specific details about the weapon. A black backpack found late Thursday afternoon by Blacksburg Police had been discarded at the Greenhouses on the campus. It contained clothing similar to that worn by the person in the video.

I did not know the shooter changed clothes after he shot the officer. Now I can understand the delay. I was thinking the body was clothed the same with the video on the police camera or possibly what could have been identified by the person who was pulled over by the officer.

What troubled me was when I heard the time that the local school divisions were going to be releasing students, and some quick math in my head told me that buses were going to be dropping students off in the dark. That is something you never want to have happen as a school division, especially if a gunman could still be on the loose. A decision, and it is a tough one, needed to be made sooner about releasing the students.

This story is fascinating, though. Hopefully they will discover what this shooter's motivation could have possibly been.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Will the editor of student paper complain about free pizza? The editor of the paper during the 2007 massacre complained at a conference about not getting anything else besides pizza sent to the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted