1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EDIT!!! IMUS CANNED FROM TV AND RADIO!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chester

chester Member

Imus is a tool for what he said, and he deserved punished for it. However, my problem with the whole affair is the "pitchforks-and-torches" mentality those going after him took. They acted like this is the first time ANYONE has every used racist or sexist words on the air. It wasn't, and it sure as heck won't be the last either. What could have been a perfect opportunity for quality public discussion on this subject became a quest to skewer him instead of addressing the real problem. I have a daughter who is way too young (10 months old) to understand anything short of Elmo or Cookie Monster. But if she was old enough, I would have found this as a perfect chance to try to teach her why what he said has made it a big deal. Not saying that didn't happen in some homes across the country, but it just seemed like it became "kill the messenger" instead of intelligently discussion the subject of the message.

That's just my 2 cents.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Well struck.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You do know that Cohen is Jewish, right?

No, I don't think it's funny. I never like Ali G and I won't even watch Borat on when it makes it to cable. But the fact is the double-standard exists -- people can get away with saying just about anything about their own ethnic or racial group.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There are plenty of constituencies that can be ripped by other groups.

But some have most-favored-nation status.

5. boots

boots New Member

Thank goodness. They put him out to pasture. Now he can go to satillite and do his thing. I wish him well. Hopefully no other assclown with get on the air waves with a minstrel show.
    This was a long time in coming. He picked on girls. Student-athletes. Politicians and entertainers are one thing. These were kids.
    I do wish him well in his future endeavors.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Don't need two threads going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.