1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edict: pay your own way in to games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

We have a winner.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I could understand if the bean counters sent a directive prohibiting reporters from eating the food in the press box. However, this is beyond the pale. Especially since there's no prohibition against eating the press box food.

I'm just glad it's not the SE's policy. It would show a shocking lack of understanding of the profession on the part of someone who should know it.

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

The key word is "critic." Getting the movie or music for free can influence an opinion. The same is true of premium seating. They are trying to "buy" a good review.

Sports writing is not a review. It's simply telling what happened. No bribery can influence the facts.

4. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

Exactly. Even if the local university lets you in for free, feeds you in the press box, and, hell, sends the head cheerleader in to give you handjobs at regular intervals, how biased could you possibly be in writing about the game that the school played? If they win 14-7, that's what you'd report. And if they lose 49-0, you're going to have to report that too. You could try to put a positive spin on it, I guess..."valiant effort", "tried to keep it close", all that "rally the local team" bullshit, but, ultimately, you're going to report what happened at the game.
    News reporters, political writers, critics...I can understand the need to keep them subjective.
    But to try to take extra steps to do such a thing for sports reporters seems misguided.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

With this new info, my opinion of the sports editor has changed (but only slightly, simply because it doesn't sound like he put up much of a fight about it) ...

However, my original question still stands unanswered -- why just this college, and not the high school (or schools) you cover? Is there something more to this that is driving this asinine decision by your paper's higher-ups?

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Yeah, I agree ... sounds like this SE is a bit timid and not willing to explain to the higher-ups how silly the edict is ... I feel for big green wahoo and I think he should keep that resume ready.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If the pope tells you to do something, I think you have to listen.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

When the pope can kick out an 18-inch gamer in less than an hour, I'll listen ... :)

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

If editors insists on this, I say demand that he/company foots the bill and buys you a season ticket, IN ADVANCE so you don't have to. Regardless, your editor has questionable journalistic skill.

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Awesome.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, how do you interview players/coaches, access the press box, etc without a media pass. That's completely backwards...never heard anything like it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what is the verdict? Can you get a press pass and still buy a ticket to satisfy the higher up bean counters?

Draft saved Draft deleted