1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edict: pay your own way in to games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. This also sends another message, in that you're there to enjoy the game first, and work second.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

My guess is the SE will say they can't buy season tickets and tell you to keep buying single game tickets. Hopefully you'll call his bluff and say you can't afford this and need a cash advance. That should be the end of this silliness. The paper won't pay for season tickets; count on that.

3. Upon further review, this policy comes not from the SE, but from higher up the food chain. I think it's best to just say here that I'm satisfied with my second discussion with him on this topic. PM me if you're dying to know more.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Our newspaper policy for the movie critic and music critic has been to pay for the movie/concert, then get reimbursed. They get offered free screenings for the movies and backstage or premium seat concert tickets all the time. For years, those guys have asked the question: why do sports writers get into events free, without going through the reimbursement process? I never had a good answer for them.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is so amazing. I feel for you wahoo.
    What would you do if the SE told you to bend over?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You don't need special access to tell if a play was good or not. Sports reporters need access to players and coaches after the game, plus a place to work to file stories. I don't need access to the director of a play afterward or an actor.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before you start in on your next chapter of anal adventures. He already said the SE wasn't responsible for this policy, two posts ahead of this gem.

Wonder also if the people who unilaterially decided the SE didn't know shit and should be out of a job feel up to retracting their statements.

As for the policy: It sounds good in theory (and gives you a ready defense to complaints from the public that you get to watch games for free, as simplistic as they may be), but fairly illogical in practice. If you have a credential (and press box/postgame access indicates you would), what's the point of buying a ticket? Symbolism? If not, how are you getting into the press box? I covered a D-III game Saturday and they had credentials and someone making sure you had a right to be upstairs.

Also: Is covering the program a regular part of the job, or is it one of those "your time, your dime" deals? The ticket attitude sorta makes it sound like the latter.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Do your sports editor one better. Have the SID call the publisher to negotiate what fee your paper will need to pay to cover the games. Now, it probably won't be as expensive as, say, a television network because you aren't covering the game live (unless you tweet or blog.) But, they are, none the less providing a product with which to fill your paper.

If they're going to be silly, carry it to its logical extreme.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Meat, you know Droopy never has been one on comprehension.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I read the thread. I know it came from orders up high, but it was the sports editor who gave him the direct order.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did Wahoo get an explanation from the SE?

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It's because the two endeavors are not similar.

The point of movie/music reviews is to advise people whether or not to spend their money on the product. That's the whole deal. You're telling people whether it was good or bad.

Covering a game is covering a news event. Access to the game can't be purchased after the "review" comes out, and that's not the point of the coverage anyway. And, like Stitch said, you can't cover a game without being there.

Now, if we're talking about concerts, I don't think news organizations should pay to cover concerts. That's the same as a game in practically every relevant way.

Draft saved Draft deleted