1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edict: pay your own way in to games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Another question -- why just this college's games? Why not do the same for any high school game you cover?

Seriously, this is f****d up beyond all reason ... I'd start looking for a new job, because this guy sounds like he's missin' a few screws (and the editor who OKd this is in the same league) ...

2. I know this sounds strange, but I really like working for this gentleman. He's a fabulous human being and a good boss. This particular directive was so out of character that I had him repeat it and then I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. I just nodded.

I just wanted to see if others found the situation as weird as I do. Sounds like that's the case.

I'm just going to lay low and cooperate and worry about other things. Thanks for the feedback.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why didn't you say anything? If you're a month into the job and this good gentlemen pops this out, what else is next? I'd ask for a raise since you have to cover these expenses out-of-pocket at first or get petty cash.

4. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

There have been times earlier in my career when I didn't have two nickels to rub together and, depending what day of the week payday was on, I would be close to dead broke by the time weekend games rolled around. I would have had to seel my plasma just to get into a game under this guy's watch.
    We don't make a lot of "disposable" income in this profession; most of us are just scraping by. This is absolutely asinine. In 15 years, I have been forced to pay for a high school sporting event twice (both were road games). I was reimbursed next morning by company for a stupid $4 game ticket. It's principle.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not only that, but why should a worker have to spend their money and get reimbursed? Meanwhile, during the time in between that you've spent your money and the time that you get reimbursed, you could be collecting interest on your money. Granted, interest rates are low, and the savings may end up being 2 cents for the $4 that you spend, but still, you are losing those two pennies.

And you're right. I've had many times when I've had to very carefully budget my money so I don't bounce checks and have enough for food each week. If it takes 2 weeks to reimburse the reporter, that's $8-10 bucks that they're going without for no reason.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just wondering how the SE is a good gentlemen if he's an idiot?

7. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

It takes more than a month of working for someone to figure out if he or she is a good boss or not.

This edict alone makes him or her sound like an uninformed boss at the minimum and eventually capable of being viewed as a bad boss.

Good luck.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

If buying a ticket is really necessary, can't the SID give you one? I-AA guys are a.) desperate for coverage and b.) usually presiding over programs that draw flies. I imagine he'd give you a ticket and then you can submit it for reimbursement.

Is it unethical? Probably. But the stupidity of this editor trumps all and makes it acceptable.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Yeah, this guy is not a good sports editor. He is a doofus. He doesn't know the first thing about sports journalism.

Hopefully he's nice. Maybe he can manage a Price Chopper or something.

10. After hearing your thoughts, I've sent my boss a message asking for a meeting on the topic. At worst, I think it's fair for the paper to buy me season tickets to football, m/w hoops, m/w soccer, m/w hockey and baseball so I don't have to lay out the initial cash. At best, perhaps logic will prevail.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, you're the king of fictional topics, so why don't you tell us?

12. It better. If it doesn't, this is a paper to definitely avoid unless you can get no other job.

Draft saved Draft deleted