1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edict: pay your own way in to games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I wonder, theoretically, what happens if a game is sold out. Don't go?

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Sounds like said sports editor needs to rethink this is
    Sounds like said sports editor needs to rethink this idea.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That would get your ass "in to" trouble.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Holy crap. The SID at our I-AA school is practically begging for us to send someone to the home games. Send me media passes and parking pass. The small detail of who the hell would actually edit and paginate the section and still make deadline on Saturdays remains the sticking point.

But buy a ticket to get in? Huh?

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If you have a boss like that, you're better off keeping him out of the loop on minor details and hoping he doesn't get pissed.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That brings to mind one of my fondest memories: the epic 1984 game between Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State at Memorial Stadium in Jackson. That was the year both teams were undefeated, Valley had Willie Totten and Jerry Rice, Alcorn had Isaac Holt and a great back named Perry Qualls, and it was an E-vent. It was Valley's home game that got moved and the late Chuck Prophet was Valley's SID. He literally sent media credentials to every sports writer in the state of Mississippi and most of us showed up. I was just a rookie then, I've stayed in the business for 25 years, and I've still never been to anything remotely like it.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Editors pull stunts like this so they can brag to other editors, or their bosses. It's absurd.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not like this, though. This is myopic-squared. It fails to show a core understanding of a sports journalist.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I usually try to say something fairly intelligent, but this is so stupid, I'm having a really hard time.

If your boss really thinks getting a press pass compromises you, but eating the pressbox food is OK ... honestly, this has to be a joke, right?

If it's genuine, he's reading the wrong books, or even reading the right ones and totally misinterpreting them -- and leaving his common sense out altogether.

Yeesh.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This must be a joke. If you pay your way, that means you don't have access to the press box or locker room which means you can't do your job.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly.

The move is idiotic.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Please update us on this. Why would it be OK to eat the free food if you are paying for a ticket? You are still beholden to the school because of the free food. This guy sounds like a real winner. Gannett?

Draft saved Draft deleted