1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edict: pay your own way in to games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. I'm a month into a new job and my sports editor has told me I need to pay to get into the I-AA college football games I cover, then submit the ticket cost as an expense. He says this prevents the university from saying they've given us anything. However, he states I'm welcome to eat press box food and, of course, attend the postgame interview sessions.

I don't mind this step. But it seems odd. If you think gaining free admission compromises you as a news organization, then why allow your people to sit in the press box, let alone eat the food there? And why take advantage of admission to the stadium's interview room and access to players and coaches?

Personally, I don't think many university folks out there would try to claim they were giving you something special by issuing you a media pass. Anyone else on a beat pay to get into games?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous.

3. redsox99

redsox99 Member

That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Why not just get food from the concession stand and just expense everything? That way you are not getting anything. And make sure the copies of the stats they give you are also paid for at .25 per sheet. And ask what your portion of the Internet cost during your time at the game will be unless you have your own wireless card.

4. mb

mb Active Member

That's it. Let the sports editor know that the new guy wants things done his way. I'm sure that will go over well.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you get in the press box if you don't have a media credential? The interview rooms and press box are there so that you can do your job.

On a theoretical level, it's cool that you want to pay your way, but it's not fair to the SID for someone without a credential to be traipsing around. Some security person or cop is bound to give you a hassle even at a I-AA school.

I think it's pretty cool and special that White House reporters get access to the White House.

But I think it would be pretty hard for them to do their jobs if they didn't get a credential that allowed them in, wouldn't it?

Has your sports editor ever worked in sports?

I would ask the boss give you $20 from petty cash for every game you cover and tell him you'll buy the ticket if it will make him feel better.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if you are paying your way into the stadium:
    A. why would the university give you access to the press box;
    B. What's the going rate for a ticket comparable for a seat in the press box -- ido you pay premium ticket price? general admission?
    C. What about road games?

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Apply for media pass. Use it to aquire admission and do work.
    Postgame, find a ticket stub, get reimbursed for it.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the plan here is for the reporter to get a media credential, but also buy a ticket so he is theoretically paying his way in.

Among the hundreds of dumb management decisions we've heard about in the past year or so, this might be the most idiotic.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sportswriters have been getting into games for free for generations. If it affected the way anybody covered a game, that person sucked and probably didn't last long in the business.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now that's working smarter, not harder.

11. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Wow. I understand teams getting rid of press box meals, but to have a newspaper do that is unreal.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think the media credential is that last thing a school official would bitch at. There has to be more to this story. I hope so or there should be an SE position open a wahoo's place shortly. With too many good journalists out of work, it's a shame that people who don't have a clue have a job in the industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted