1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgerrin James: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

not a chance, at least not for a VERY long time. in the nfl, a legit candidate can 'never say never' because of the required ne likwumber of inductees. he could be like chris hanburger this year, a guy who sticks around long enough to catch his turn at the right time.

but to me, guys in any hof who don't get in on their first 8-10 shots are not legit hof'ers. it's a tremendous honor for them, don't get me wrong, but the REAL hof'ers need not wait 20 years and endure having to have their way 'argued' into the hof.

for instance, when baseball let a veteran's committee put in guys like rizzuto, i was happy for him, sure. but c'mon. you need a back door to get in? that tells us all we need to know.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he'll be helped by the fact that LaDainian is the only RB who retires after him who will skip over him to get in. I think he gets in on the fifth try or so...

3. But the guys who are below him that you listed were all ranked much higher when they retired.

4. Mizzougrad96

Well, Barber played for a NY team, put up numbers similar to James and retired while he could still play and I don't think anyone thinks he'll get in.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I actually deleted that post a few seconds after posting it because I realized there was a glaring error in my logic (namely, NY Jet Curtis Martin--4th all time rusher, still not inducted). But, damnit, you caught it before the deletion.

That said, I still believe James should be in. And Martin should ALSO be in.

6. Mizzougrad96

Martin should be in. He'll be in by next year.

Bettis will get in within the next three years or so.

LaDainian will get in on the first ballot. Assuming he retires after this season, unless James gets in on the first ballot (never), he'll be in before James.

After those three go it, it will be a long time (maybe a decade) before there is another RB who will definitely make it.

I think during that time, James will get in.

I think he's deserving, but he is definitely not a lock.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

James is one of those players who people won't think of as a HOFer at first blush, but then when they take a closer look at his career, it'll look better than it was remembered at the time.

8. Mizzougrad96

I was actually surprised he was only 11th all-time in rushing. I think he'll get in because he measures up favorably to the other running backs who played when he did. How many were better than he was? Faulk, Martin, LT, arguably Bettis. I don't really lump him with Sanders and Emmitt.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's the Mike Mussina of running backs, isn't he?

10. Mizzougrad96

Probably not a bad comparison. I'll be curious who gets in on fewer tries.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does he make the HOF if he stays in Indy? His ypg dropped from 4.2 his last year in Indy to under 4.0 with the Cards.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Even though statistically he had a great final year in Indianapolis, it was apparent that his skills were on the decline, plus there was no way the Colts wanted to sign him to a long-term deal. His YPC numbers would have been slightly better in Indy, but I don't think his production overall would have been much greater than it was in Arizona.

It's not the best reason, but had he played on Indy's Super Bowl team, I think that would tip some people his way.

Draft saved Draft deleted