1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgerrin James: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/aug/05/nfl-immokalee-edgerrin-james-pro-football-hall/

Recently officially announced his retirement (like he had to).

11th all-time in rushing.

Part of some great Indianapolis teams that unfortunately had the Patriots in their way during that era.

I guess the argument against is that any running back could have found room to run with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison drawing all of the attention.

I say probably yes. I watched a lot of the games he played in, and I always thought he was a very effective runner whose abilities stand on their own. But I'm no NFL scout or expert. Perhaps others here who are could shed some more expertise on the topic.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No.
    Just another of the swath of talented backs that have matriculated through the league.
    Hell of a productive player at times, but not Hall material.

3. I don't think he should be in, but I think he will be elected eventually.
    Assume Martin, Bettis and Tomlinson are elected you have 15 of the top 18 all-time rushing leaders in the HOF (Not Corey Dillon (18th), Fred Taylor (15th) and James (11th).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

Dillon has NO shot.

I think Fred Taylor is a more intriguing question. Oft-injured, but good career numbers, 15th all-time .... I think he's a bigger bubble pick than James.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes, but it's close.

If Bettis gets in, James will get in.

Bettis and James are within a handful of touchdowns of each other. James was a much better receiving back. Bettis has the ring and the warm and fuzzy end to his career, but, IMO James was the more dangerous back.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No. He was on a HOF track until his knee injury in '01. Never the same after that.

6. Mizzougrad96

Except for 2004 and 2005 where he had more than 1,500 yards in each season.

I know 1,000 yards is meaningless in this day and age, but he had four seasons over 1,200 after the surgery.

It certainly doesn't help his case that the Colts got rid of him and then won the Super Bowl. Bettis will get in ahead of him, but I can't imagine one getting in and not the other.

Curtis Martin should sail in ahead of either.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's going to be very interesting which recent backs get in and which don't.

I don't think any of these guys get in:

Tiki Barber
    Fred Taylor
    Shaun Alexander
    Priest Holmes
    Larry Johnson
    Jamal Lewis
    Eddie George
    Corey Dillon
    Ahman Green
    Fred Taylor
    Ricky Williams
    Clinton Portis

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

James was still very productive after his injury (I was at a game in 2004 in Chicago when he had a career game, gaining more than 200 yards), but he was one of the most dynamic, complete backs I'd ever seen his first two years. Once he fucked up his knee, he became a talented grinder with occasional flashes of brilliance. The Wal-Mart version of Gale Sayers.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't disagree with that assessment.

He was also a running back on a team where most opposing defenses were trying to stop the pass first. That doesn't help his case.

I think he may be the cutoff as the worst of the current crop who gets in. He could also wind up as the best of the current crop not to get in. LDT will soar in. Martin will get in. Bettis will get in. I think James will get in over Barber and Taylor, who I think will be left out.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know that this makes him HOF material, but as a Colts looser fanboy I can't help but notice the team junked its signature stretch play after James left. The Colts just don't have a back who can block, run and catch like James did. The play was effective not only because of Manning, but also because you weren't sure if James was going to take the handoff, if it was going to be a play-action, if James was going to leak out into the flat, or he was going to stay and crush the linebacker following Manning. Heck, that play should be in the HOF playbook, along with the Packers' power sweep and the Steelers' trap-block runs.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

and also a very good receiving back and a good blocker. Yes, he's an HOF'er.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I wanna see him get in just so we can see gold teeth on a bronze bust.

Draft saved Draft deleted