1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgar Martinez - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hall of very good but not of fame. He gets in with a ticket.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Because the minor leagues then was a different animal.

3. Della9250

How so? Incompetent management caused Martinez to miss at least two and a half seasons, if not more. When you look at his career numbers and claim they aren't good enough, that is the single-biggest reason.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And your crystal ballcantell us what he would have done? That he may not have had a career ending injury? It didn't happen, it is irrelevant.

5. Della9250

That is my point. He wasn't allowed to have the chance, but the main reason wasn't because of his talent level. He mashed at triple-A. He wasn't being blocked by a Brett or a Boggs. He was blocked by a guy who had a negative WAR during a time Martinez was obviously a better choice.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So how is this ...

unlike Grove's story?

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You're still giving him credit for things he didn't do. What about guys who missed time due to injury? Do they get credit for the stats they would have put up?

Having said that, there are cases where I'll give guys the credit you're giving Martinez. But it's historical-anomaly type stuff that likely won't ever happen again. I think those scenarios are:

- Negro Leaguers who were barred from playing in the bigs
    - Players who missed seasons while fighting in wars
    - Collusion (the Tim Raines case, although he only missed out on a month's worth of stats)

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still irrelevant. You seem to want to give him credit for what he might have done and you can't. In judging his case for the Hall of Fame, you have to judge Martinez on what he did.

Edit: Big Circus beat me to it.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Just sayin'.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is relevant how?

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

That it isn't just about major league statistics.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In my opinion, which I'm not expecting everyone to share, Edgar Martinez's triple-A productivity should at least be considered when discussing his Hall of Fame case.

Draft saved Draft deleted