1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgar Allan Poe was nuts and so am I

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I agree with what you're saying here, Buck. But I do think it's important to be passionate about the product you are selling. And the business you own. I think that zeal comes across to customers.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bookstore people are odd sorts.

They want to be in the book business, not just operate a small business. I don't know anyone in the book biz who would have opened say an ice-cream parlour because it was a better business idea than a bookstore.

If you're going to open a bookstore, one would assume that there's a passion for books. If not, why bother?

More importantly, if you're running a speciality bookstore, you need both passion and an encyclopedic knowledge of your subject matter.

You don't want to own a mystery or kid's bookstore where the customers know more than you do. You'd have no credibility.

However, you have to have a rock solid business plan to go along with that passion; otherwise, you're just roadkill

Historically, the problem with a lot of people who have started up bookstores was they figured the business stuff would take care of itself. And of course it doesn't.

One of the reasons our store was so successful wasn't just because we had a great store with a fabulous inventory but because we were extremely aggressive marketers. My partner and I did book promotions that were way ahead of their time and came up with a "brand" before most people knew what the hell the concept meant.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Richmond?
    Virginia is for (book) lovers, anyhoo ...
    Greater Richmond Small Business Development Center
    Main Street Center
    600 E Main Street, Suite 700
    Richmond, VA 23219-2118
    (804) 783-9314

Register for counseling here
    https://www.virginiasbdc.org/register.aspx?center=46040&subcenter=0

Draft saved Draft deleted