1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eddie Murphy to Host 84th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen Charlie on his own, not illustrated by Dave Chappelle? It's pretty rough. I do hope that Eddie at least gives us a "CHARLIE MURPHY!" while he's hosting. (I also always chuckled when in the segments of Charlie Murphy's story, he would stress, "Now my brother, uh, he didn't do this shit.")

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Roll ol' Chollie around, he be aight."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He made a reference to that in one of his later specials... It was like, "Kids love me, I'm Mr. Conductor..." or something like that.

RIP George.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He hasn't done standup in nearly 25 years. I can't see where this will be any good without a generous amount of practice.

5. Mizzougrad96

You think he forgot how to do stand-up?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Murphy manages to stay awake for the entire broadcast, he'll be an improvement over James Franco.

7. Mizzougrad96

I saw the previews for Tower Heist a couple weeks ago with Murphy and Ben Stiller and I'm guessing that will be a colossal hit.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

In a dream world, Eddie shows up with a transvestite on his arm, and there's a reunion with Nick Nolte.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: ... and, btw, since we're on the topic of Eddie and his past work, did anyone else see that a dude dressed up as Gumby tried to rob a convenience store recently?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/08/us-crime-gumby-idUSTRE7874A120110908

"Give me the money! I'm Gumby dammit!" (And I wonder if Pokey was driving the getaway car?)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will have this on during the Golden Globes.

http://gizmodo.com/5838306/i-will-watch-the-hell-out-of-ricky-gervais--live+streaming-commentary-for-the-golden-globes

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. That looks really good.

And when I saw Eddie the first time, I swear to God I said "Hey, Charlie Murphy." Man Eddie is not aging well. Maybe some of it was to be in character as a weathered prisoner, but damn.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He should just point to Jada and Katie Holmes and say HALF

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Pokey WAS the getaway car.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted