1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eddie Johnson v. The Trib and Skip Bayless

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 16, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No idea why you've associated me with those posts, but whatever.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Not if he said he was reading it out of the Tribune.

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Last time I checked, having your name spelled incorrectly wasn't a vile felony that will wreck your reputation.

Get a grip (and some better logic).

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My point is, if you can be successfully sued for any mistake -- without malice or intent being an issue -- it's not a far leap from defending lawsuits because you had the wrong last name of a girl who scored four goals in a soccer match. Parents claim you screwed her out of a scholarship and want the paper to reimburse them.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Proving to jury that such a mistake led to a loss of scholarship is much more difficult than expecting them to understand how a false accusation of child molestation hurts a person's reputation. The former is conjecture. The latter is patently obvious.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My bet is that Eddie Johnson is bringing the suit, not so much for big money (any competent lawyer would tell him he is very unlikely to win), but to drag out a few more front-page stories hammering home the fact that HE IS NOT THE CHILD MOLESTER, IT'S THE OTHER EDDIE JOHNSON.

My guess is that's about 85% of the motivation.

Draft saved Draft deleted