1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed O'Bannon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jun 14, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't think the Post believes its readers are dying to know what ever happened to Ed O'Bannon. The story is part of a larger series on retired athletes who have all the money they need but are still faced with finding something fulfilling to do with the next stage of their lives. In that context, O'Bannon was a good choice.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

In that context, yup.
    There is no indication of that on the web

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a bar at the top of the page with a banner headline "Set For Life: These Athletes Retired As Multimillionaires, But Has Money Brought Them Happiness?" and a list (Part 1: Peter Boulware. Part 2: Ed O'Bannon. Part 3: Bret Boone). There's a fetcher for a live chat with the writer Monday. That seems to be pretty clear series-packaging, doesn't it?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, did not see that

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He is also a very fine impromptu piano player as anyone who has been lucky enough to watch him tickle the ivories at various hotel lobby bars.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I, too, was not aware this was a series.
    And, just to be clear, I covered the O'Bannon's in college. They were great guys with great a family. I'm usually a skeptic of the over-hyped, and the O'Bannons were over-hyped, but they were good guys.

7. Over-hyped yes. But his performance in the '95 title game was sensastional, especially in the second half. He simply wouldn't let the Bruins lose to Arkansas.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He did it the previous year, too, in the dreaded first-round loss to Shea Seal and Tulsa. He had a monster game, but was doing it virtually by himself. Losing that game might have been a key reason for him sticking around for his fifth year.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next up Len Dykstra and Denny McClain

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I remember seeing him at some of the UNLV games when I was in college. I think he almost went to UNLV.

Draft saved Draft deleted