1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed O'Bannon suing NCAA: UPDATE: O'Bannon wins, but NCAA may not suffer that much

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 22, 2009.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Ed O'Bannon suing NCAA

I have. Usually I see them as giveaways or "accepting donations" items.

In any case, see my previous post -- any lawyer trying to equate that to the video-game or jersey sales would be laughed out of court.

2. LongTimeListener

Holy shit. You really are this stupid.

Acquaint yourself with the concept of "fair use." Then we will talk.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those ads don't appear on the posters for free.

And again, exploitation is exploitation.

How much has the LA Times, OCR, etc. paid to Ed O'Bannon for using his image in their papers while he was at UCLA?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What?

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm no national columnist but I am doing a column on how our local players are/aren't "in the game."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. The school would.

7. Baron Scicluna

In the U.S., where? And besides, only a very small percentage are able to become professionals.

And those college athletes are not free to negotiate their compensation with the university, nor seek a better deal elsewhere.

8. Baron Scicluna

They're using that image for newsgathering purposes. If they wanted him to appear in an advertising supplement, they'd be paying him.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The licensing piece, I agree with you.

The TV dollars, I don't. And what would shake up the college athletics are the TV dollars.

Back to the "TAs are free to seek other employment" argument...that the NCAA doesn't currently allow it for certain college athletes doesn't necessarily mean it can't change. It can. All NCAA members need to do is vote on it.

I'm no big fan of the NCAA. But the unintended consequence will be that, if schools suddenly have to fork over huge chunks of TV contracts and stay Title IX compliant, they'll just walk away from sports or let their teams become a rather disquieting intersection of public and private marketplace.

10. LongTimeListener

Yeah. It's gonna be awesome.

I don't know how the Title IX portion will play out, but really there's no reason anymore for a school to have anything beyond football, men's basketball and one or two other interest-based sports, whether it's hockey or baseball or women's basketball or maybe lacrosse in the East. Other than that, it's too much of a strain on the budget and adds nothing to campus life.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course they are. A football player can go to the CFL. (Or perhaps Arena Leagues, I dunno). A basketball player can go just about anywhere in the world they please. That these options are relatively unknown or perceived as undesirable, let's face it, has no real affect on their existence. Nobody said there has to be a "perfect" alternative to the NCAA. But they exist.

If a computer science student has a hard-on to manufacture iPhones, she'll need to head to China. They're not made here.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, that's the problem. Title IX has to play out. And when it comes right down to it, we'll see if the seemingly libertarian national sportswriters and Jay Bilas want to march into the public square and argue for dismantling the arm of a law that's helped thousands of girls attend college as athletes. There might be 10 women's college basketball teams that turn a profit? Say buh-bye to the whole sport. Somehow I see women having a beef with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted