1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed O'Bannon suing NCAA: UPDATE: O'Bannon wins, but NCAA may not suffer that much

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Re: Ed O'Bannon suing NCAA

More than that, I bet you see specialty schools, and lots and lots of club sports.

What I mean is, schools will keep their men's teams that are profitable and/or successful, and drop those that aren't. So Alabama will still play football, and places like Colorado will still have a cross country team, South Carolina will keep a baseball team, etc. Places that are generally successful in smaller scale, smaller budget sports will get even better athletes in those sports because other schools stop fielding teams, and because it looks good to claim a national championship in something, even if it is men's judo or something. Everything else becomes a club sport. Want to play men's tennis in the Mid American Conference? That'll be a club sport. How about football in the MAC? Club. Baseball? Hell, the MAC will just become a giant club sport conference except for basketball.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The other funny thing that, if a lawyer wanted to make the argument, is what about athletes in right to work states?

They could argue that the athletes shouldn't be prevented from seeking employment just because they had to join an organization in order to participate in their school's extracurricular activities. Kinda like the reversal of the law that says workers shouldn't have to join an organization (i.e., a union), in order to be employed by a company.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

NCAA announces it won't renew its contract with EA Sports, citing "cost of litigation." NCAA Football 2014 will be the last edition:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/july/ncaa+will+not+renew+ea+sports+contract

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

By "cost of litigation" I think the NCAA means "future damages."

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This seems like a big deal.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, really? Then why haven't former athletes profited off of it?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This came up in the video game thread from a more practical standpoint. (i.e. "Will EA continue the series?", and the answer seems to be yes.) But when I saw the news item today my first thought was, "Wow, the NCAA must think it's going to get killed in court and it's trying to mitigate the damage ahead of time."

8. Inky_Wretch

EA has already announced the series will continue. So basically the NCAA has said "Nah, we don't want any money out of this."

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This has "EA Sports College Football 15" stamped all over it.

NCAA won't give a damn about the likenesses in the game, as long as "NCAA" is nowhere to be found.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And at least now you won't have to pour your Coke into an NCAA cup when you're playing.

11. Inky_Wretch

Six active players joined the suit today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/07/18/ncaa-ed-obannon-lawsuit-active-players-arizona-clemson/2564375/

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who let the kicker climb aboard? He's on his third school.

And a tight end who hasn't even played in a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted