1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Graney at the R-J

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blondebomber, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I agree, but he also hasn't been a manager in, what, 20 years? Different animal. I think Graney needs more time than Hawk, yes, but to judge Graney now is patently unfair, IMO.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Where on this thread have I said Hawk's doing a bad job as SE?

I will say he has made some fairly positive changes so far, but the morale is pretty delicate. Kevin Iole is a cancer that must be removed for Hawk to do what he really needs to.

4. arnold ziffel

arnold ziffel Member

Just curious BB, why is Iole a cancer?

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

He's a backstabber. He likes to sabotage other people's work. He has been caught giving fake news tips to reporters he doesn't like to send them on wild goose chases. He orchestrates coverage by promising favorable story placement in exchange for scoops. He accepts gifts from people he covers. He was caught red handed when he turned up on Bob Arum's private plane that made a crash landing outside Big Bear on the way to cover one of Arum's fighters. As a golf writer, he arranges free rounds for people he covers on other beats. He forced Royce Feour off the boxing beat because the local minor-league hockey team he jizzed all over had moved and Iole demanded to cover a major beat. He was behind the R-J's XFL coverage that was ridiculed on a national basis (E&P ripped it as being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard) because sucked them off like he does all of his other subjects. Other than that, he's a go-to guy.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, Arn, you asked.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And I forgot to add what Don Logan once told me when I asked how Iole was to deal with: "(Blondebomber), you have no idea how much Kevin cries to the high heavens when he doesn't get handed a story first. We have to give him the scoop to stop him from pissing all over the place."

He breaks stories not because he's a good reporter, but because he's entitled to.

8. Tierra

Tierra New Member

FWIW, hearing that the RJ won't be adding any new sports positions under Hawk. Upper Management pulled the rug.

9. arnold ziffel

arnold ziffel Member

If just half of what you're saying BB is true, then why does Iole still have a job?

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

He was hired as the future Golden Boy many years back and has been the darling of Review-Journal management ever since. He also holds the title of senior reporter and regardless of transgressions he's considered (internally) their most prominent writer ... at least until Graney was hired. If he were at any other paper, he would have been gone a loooong time ago. Another example of how slipshod the whole paper is.

11. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Having worked with Ed Graney for four years, I know him to be be enterprising and eager. I have every confidence he'll be terrific. Having read this forum for the past year, I am struck by the irony in Blonde Bomber referring to someone else as a backstabber.

From where I sit, those who repeatedly launch anonymous rips at co-workers are more contemptible than backstabbers. They are pernicious cowards.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Ziiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg

Draft saved Draft deleted