1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ECU fined by Conference USA for fan celebration on the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Fans charging a field after a big upset victory has been part of college lore. East Carolina is being fined $10,000 by Conference USA after football fans charged the field following ECU's 24-3 upset win over No. 8 West Virginia last weekend. The North Carolina Bureau of Investigation is looking into reports that some police used excessive force on football fans.
    It's difficult to control a crowd of 50,000-plus fans but I don't feel the fine is justified. It seems to me that the school is being penalized for security breaking down. I could see if there wasn't any security, but in this case Conference USA is wrong with its fine and possible sanctions against ECU.
    I wonder would any of the other conferences take such a stance.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The SEC does but I think the fine is considerably more than 10 grand. That's why you never see kids storming the field at an SEC game.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or it could be the cops and a warm, fuzzy welcome.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well yeah. But the cops are there because of the threatened fine.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

two of my cousins are at ECU, the other graduated from there. The two that are there now were on the field. They are willing to pony the money for the fine.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pac-10 administrators have infiltrated C-USA! No fun for anyone!

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Unless it's a Kentucky game. Cat fans stormed the field at least twice last year.

Also, anybody else seeing the East Carolina ringtones ad? Since when did they start a hockey program?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

WHo knew C-USA had this on the books? If anyone ran onto the field at UAB, it would be to take a shortcut to the parking lot.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Fixed.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Big shocker here. Just shocked ...

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm shocked that C-USA had the balls to do it. They want to be a major player in college sports so badly and this does get the conference out there, so to speak.

12. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

In the SEC...

It's $5k the first offense.
    $25k the second and $50k for the third

I believe these occur over a calendar year and encompass any sports. For example, if Alabama beat Louisiana Monroe at home in football and their students rushed the field, its $5k and then in basketball if they beat UAB and students rush the court, its $25k.

Draft saved Draft deleted