1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economists: Every murder costs society $17 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

murder is bad?
  3. Dick Whitman

Of course it's bad. But it's one thing to know it is morally wrong. We're all repulsed by murder. But the fact is, it actually eats a huge amount of resources that we would all be able to share in, otherwise. In other words, murder is actually everyone's problem.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Someone should make a law banning murder. That'll fix this mess.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How much did this study cost?
  6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That's part of the problem. The resources needed to investigate, prosecute, house inmates, etc. are killing our economy (pun intended). If legalized it would be cheaper
  7. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Just put a $17 million fine on murders along with prison sentences. That'll help the problem.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If it were legal, then we could collect taxes on it.
  9. Dick Whitman

You guys laugh, but I think that there are a lot of people who look at something like murder and just think of it as largely an inner-city problem, and let 'em kill each other. Doesn't affect me any.

But it does. And these guys quantified it. Where anyone can take it from there, I don't think they have any idea. That's not their job, though.

Fact is, maybe we should take an even longer look as a society at curbing violence, considering how costly it is for our country. Particularly since most developed nations don't have to deal with this huge chunk ripped from their national economy.
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Kind of like how Arizona sold tax stamps to sell pot. A seller got off a state drug charge by claiming the state couldn't prohibit something it taxed.
  11. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

First, I question whether there are really that many people who think "let them kill themselves off." And even if they did have that stance, they probably wouldn't support cops and investigators wasting time looking into it, thus negating most, if not all, of the cost.

Second, I wonder how resource allocation is split among murder locations. I can definitely see $17 million and more spent on the murder of Mrs. White Housewife in suburbia, but do cops spend the same time and effort when Mr. Gangsta is gunned down in a bad neighborhood and no one saw nothin'?

99% of what I know about murder and cops, I've learned on TV, btw.
  12. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I disagree with the "let them kill themselves" stance. However, I will agree on the inner-city notion. Murders that occur in the city are viewed mostly as common, while killings in the suburbs are viewed as horrific and unexplainable crimes. The extreme moral lapse of the crime isn't any different, but the perception changes somewhat. Just my opinion: take it or leave it.
Draft saved Draft deleted