1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economic news - Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Coool... my silver Maple Leafs are worth more now...

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I just don't get to spend as little as I used to anymore.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Everyone should listen to Neil Cavuto. He gets his bright side from the beautiful people who sip from cups at the Manhattan Starbucks during breaks from being mindless slaves to Wall Street kingpins who are ambivalent about the sky falling on most of America. They have a plan for themselves and that's all that's important.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Join the revolution, Brother Yawn.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070919/tourism_loonie_070919/20070919/

The rising Canadian dollar has helped to create a "perfect storm" of problems for Canada's tourism industry.

Canada already suffers a $4.4 billion annual deficit with the U.S. in tourist dollars. Confusion over regulatory changes to passport requirements for Americans traveling north, border delays, and high gas prices, have already been keeping more and more Americans away from Canada.
    Jones says Canada's tourism industry needs to re-adjust its strategy and "re-brand" Canada to increase the flow of American tourists.

"We should be presenting a different image of Canada," he says. "We're not just a land of moose, mountains, and maple syrup."

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I call bullshit.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Geez, ain't that the truth.

My parents bought a nice four-bedroom house in a good big-city neighborhood in 1972 and paid about $33,000. Their combined income at the time was about $40,000.

Today, in the same jobs, their combined income would be about $90,000, and the house deal would be about $350,000.

My salary today is twice as much as my father's was, but I'm paying quadruple his mortgage payment just to rent a one-bedroom apartment.

That's economics in my world.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Bingo! I'm still saving. I'm not even close.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Me too.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The best way to fix this economy is to put a democrat in the White House.

Then all of these exact same economic indicators will be reported as great news.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

yup, America will get phucced good pretty soon. Buy gold and silver - leave the dollar be.

China and Russia is on the rebound and India isn't far behind. You think they crying about the paucity of sportwriter jobs now.

LOL!!!

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now wait just a second here, Buck. I'm reconsidering my thoughts here really quickly. Because all of these good indicators would take a nose dive. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted