1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ECHL's Augusta Lynx "ceases operations"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 2, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

At least that's what it says in the standings. Damn. Always loved going to ECHL games when there was a team near me.

For more (while the link lasts): http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/latest/lat_500070.shtml

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Heard this was a possibility earlier in the week. They were looking for about $200,000 to keep operations going. They were hoping to make it to the weekend.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This could be the canary for Pro sports. There are going to be more teams in for a very rough road including some at a higher level

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sheryl Swoopes isn't skating through that door. [/crossthread]

Having minor league hockey teams go the way of the dodo isn't exactly novel, but I feel their pain. I'd give lots to still have the Birmingham Bulls around on winter weekends.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think the ECHL expanded too much when it went nationwide. It's a lot to ask the teams to pay to travel all over the country, rather than just regionally.

It's a good level of play, though. I've enjoyed the 20 or so games I've been to.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

This is sad indeed. I had an owner of a minor league basketball team tell me that he was desperate to get a miner league hockey team here in town because that is the only minor league sport that actually makes money.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

First the Comets and now the Lynx? Sports are going to hell.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Having been to several Lynx games I'm not surprised. The stadium committe was an absolute joke. Lots of good players are now looking for new homes and teams. Thankfully most are used to this back and forth shit.

Having partied with some of those guys that were still on that team I feel for them though. Caught up in a bad situation in a city that has been done in by shitty management.

9. I believe this was the team where the beat writer from the Augusta Chronicle quit and eventually became the GM.

Anybody remember that?

And was he still working there?

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wow, not sure if Rob, while he is very talented, was the best writer on that staff. I believe Scott Michaux was and still is the best writer at the Chronicle.

That being said I don't think he's still there. I'm pretty sure he left awhile ago.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Hell, I think the entire Continental Basketball Association may crater tomorrow. Stay tuned...

12. I didn't say he was the "best" writer on their staff.

Re-read my post.

I said he was the "beat" writer on that paper covering the team he eventually went to work for.

Never read a word of the guy's work. Just remember he went from the press box to the team management box.

Draft saved Draft deleted