1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EBT glitch leads to unlimited spending at Louisiana Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not enough qualified applicants for the cashier jobs due to a lack of math instruction in school.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Oh bullshit. Do the right thing. Don't take money or goods to which you're not entitled. It's that simple.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that over a two-hour window, so many people both recognized and acted upon this glitch. How in the world did word get out (and acted upon) so quickly?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Social media I would guess.

6. doctorquant

I thought that ... only thing I can come up with. Damn, more evidence in support of the efficient markets hypothesis. HT to Eugene Fama (among the three Nobel laureates in economics announced today).

7. TheSportsPredictor

Not sure the two-hour window is entirely accurate. EBT cards were down in several states, including mine. I read about it in the morning. When I went to the grocery store in the early evening, there was a sign up saying EBT cards weren't working. I would imagine the problems written about in these stories were part of what was going on in a third of the country that day. The 7-9 p.m. thing sounds specific to one store where the decision was made to let people use the cards even though they weren't working. They probably told people in that store to start loading up their carts. I tend to think this store caused its own problems.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

When there's free shit, people will find out about it.

9. doctorquant

I definitely got that it was just one store (or a couple of them). Still, it's pretty clear that word got out quickly that, for all intents and purposes, those stores were having the mother of all rollbacks on EBT-eligible stuff!

10. TheSportsPredictor

Hell, I'd be texting all my friends if I were there!

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

We're always told these are good people who are just going through rough times. So much for that narrative.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd say this was more "unguarded" shit than "free" shit. And we've always known there's a certain segment of the population that will loot unguarded shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.