1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ebert offers preemptive eulogy to the Sun-Times, Roeper reminsces of better days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well said, Joe.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Ebert offers preemptive eulogy to the Sun-Times, Roeper reminsces of better

Thanks Jeffrey, I'd not seen those.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I read that Ebert journal entry last night and, I have to say, it got to me as well. I'm not sure I love the newspaper business as it exists today, or as it ever existed, but I love the ideal of it. And, most days, I really do miss the work (not the job, never the job, but the work). I'm not sure I'd say Ebert's writing has gotten better since he lost his ability to speak (like many successful writers, I think he's gotten to the point where he's under-edited) but he remains and will always remain a damn fine read.

I'm always taken aback by the level of class shown by those who comment on his blog. Whatever screening system they use, I want that in place everywhere (though I suspect it's personally screened by Ebert himself, so that may not be a model that's easily portable. :p. Maybe if he ever gets bored of writing movie reviews, he can take a side job editing reader comments.)

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the links to those.

Reading Ebert's piece reminded me of something I don't think about enough:

I may not have made a king's ransom of MONEY in journalism, but the people I've met and worked with are, for the most part, priceless.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Outstanding. All of it. Ebert, and his ilk. I feel better for having read it.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've had the honor of meeting Ebert and I truly consider him one of my heroes.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ebert's column was fantastic. I don't really smoke, only a good cigar once in a while, but I'd really love to be working in a time where I could just light up at my desk.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I used to work with a guy that had been editor of the paper in the late-70s. The experience gave him some serious medical issues (blame a pro-advertising publisher) and he stepped down. By the time I got there in 2005, he was the business writer and also took about 15 smoke breaks in an eight-hour shift.
    I told him once that he would be a lot more productive if they just let him smoke at his desk.
    His response.
    "We used to. I was."

Draft saved Draft deleted