1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Eating from a can"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twirling Time, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not because I don't understand ---- love. But because I'm hungry.

And that lyric is proof that U2 was pimping for the U.S. audience in 1987 because they call them "tins" in the UK and Ireland.

maumann likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I eat tuna from the can like a true hobo.

swingline, maumann and Twirling Time like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I changed my mind and ordered some 'za. But the point stands.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, let's see.
    U2's 1984 album The Unforgettable Fire featured songs: MLK, Pride (In The Name of Love) (about MLK), 4th of July and Elvis Presley In America.
    1987's The Joshua Tree was packed to the gills with American imagery. The Rattle and Hum semi/live album in 1989 was half recorded in Memphis.
    I don't think it's some big shocker that Bono would use American idioms talking about canned food.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I eat fruit cocktail from the can. Why dirty a dish if I'm going to eat the entire thing?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I always eat a spoonful of the bean soup concentrate before mixing it with the water and putting it in the pot.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My brother was a low-level supervisor with a state DOT. One day, the high level supervisors were slated to come to his lab/garage. His mid-level supervisor warned him “don’t let the big bosses see your staff eat from cans. It looks bad.”

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Spaghettios with meatballs from the can. Always and forever.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

But in Pride (The Unforgettable Fire), Bono sings, "Early Morning, April 4, shot rings out in the Memphis sky. Free at last, they took your life, they could not take you pride." The thing is, MLK Jr. wasn't shot in the early morning. It was after 6 p.m. when he was killed. So there's that.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I ate enough stuff sold in cans as a kid.

I abhor anything packaged in a can. Something about metal mixing with food.

Of course I’m fine drinking swill from a can (preferable, actually, for cheap beer) and I doubt that there’s evidence showing that paper containers or Mason jars are somehow better for food safety than cans.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bono has said he wish he spent more time on that song and that's part of the reason. Musically it's a great song, but lyrically it's weak and inaccurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted