1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating crow: I enjoyed watching Sunday night football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Nov 16, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As someone who has long bashed the NFL for becoming arena football on steroids, it's time to admit something.

I saw some of the first half and the majority of the second half of last night's NE-Indy game on NBC. First NFL game I actually sat back and watched all season (as opposed to others having a game on in the background at work). And to my surprise, I was entertained.

Three comments about NBC's Sunday night broadcasts:

1. The announcers are pretty damn good. Collinsworth has some sharp commentary and a good sense of humor. Al Michaels is, well, Al Michaels. And it was cool having Dungy actually saying something other than the vanilla quotes coaches usually give.

2. Even with the "quarterbacks of the decade" on the field (ugh! NBC obviously digs hype), I saw quite a few running plays. And they paid off for Indy in the end, keeping the Pats honest, then helping to run out the clock on the final TD drive.

3. There actually was a kickoff or two that WASN'T immediately followed by another full commercial break! I'm stunned.

Who knows, maybe I'll even tune in again next week and catch my old favorites, the Bears, as they battle Philly in the mediocrity bowl ...

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

As good as the broadcast is, Andrea Kremer does nothing but look like.....Andrea Kremer, and the Faith Hill bit at the beginning is absolutely nightmarish.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now, Coco, I dare you to watch tonight's game and say the same thing.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Checkmate.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Seriously. I found out my appointment scheduled for tonight was canceled, only to remember that the MNF game was Browns-Ravens. Egads. Throw in having to listen to Chucky all night, and it's not even remotely interesting.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What was Al's gambling reference last night? I was on the highway listening to Westwood One, so I didn't get my weekly Michaels fix.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Your man card is hereby declared null and void.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Coco don't play that. He knows there was something else to watch than that trainwreck.

Sadly, I missed Al's gambling tips during the broadcast.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Ha! The sports department did have that on their TV at work last night, but every time I walked over there, all I could see was 0-0 and all I could hear was Jon Gruden talking extra loud.

I didn't say I would watch EVERY NFL game!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I read somewhere that next season would be the last year that NBC has Sunday night football. I don't know if it was NBC's decision not to renew or what the deal is...

For several years they've been saying they were going to try to do a Thursday night game every week, which I think would be a great idea.

I hate Sunday night football. I love the NFL, but I can't watch it for 10 hours straight.

Draft saved Draft deleted