1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Totally free food on my old prep beat was rare and normally reserved for tournament play, but some of the high schools put on a pretty mean hospitality room when it was their turn in March. At the college level, our local D-II school had a deal with Domino's, so that was the media meal for every home game of every sport. It got old, but it was also free pizza, so a difficult line to straddle. I weigh 25 pounds less now than I did when I moved from there two years ago, so you probably know which side I tended to end up on.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

"Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never covered an MLB game, but we have a Double-A team in the area that we drop in on occasionally. They always have something available in the press box. Usually hot dogs, hamburgers, cookies and soft drinks/bottled water.
    Considering the average daily temperature here in the summer is about 93 degrees and I'm there to shoot pictures most of the time, I will definitely avail myself of at least some bottled water.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only way to actually follow that advice is to never publish anything.

Liut likes this.
  5. SnarkShark

OK. But when it's easily avoidable--like buying or bringing your own food--I don't see why it should be OK to take that path.

But it's convenient. And a lot of sports writers are lazy.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I feel like this is one of those things that people inside journalism convince themselves the public cares about, whereas the public doesn't care in the slightest.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Should probably pay for your seat in the press box, too.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not sure where you live or have lived, but are there any pro teams in your area? Again, it's been over a decade since I've been in a press box, but back then if you showed up in the Giants press box with a ham and cheese you brought from home you might as well be wearing shorts and a tee shirt with flip flops. If there is a media dining room with a free brunch and pretty much everyone covering that game is having something to eat, would you show up with some food from home?

9. SnarkShark

I work in a professional press box more than 100 times a year in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. I've brought my own food more times than I can count.

Like I said, the ship has sailed. Sports journalists regularly accept free food. It's not even a big issue. But if the question is what you should do, the answer is clear.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not sure it has sailed. Think it's going the other way. Years ago it was free food everywhere. Which press box do you bring your own food into? Maybe things have changed, or maybe it's different in other cities, but can't recall anyone ever bringing their own food.

11. SnarkShark

I'm not going to out myself to make a point about eating food in a press box. You're going to have to trust me.

And I don't see what that has to do with accepting free food from the team/league/sport you cover.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The pizza at my game tonight wasn't very good. At least the school didn't have a no-soda policy like some do. I don't get that. I can understand not selling soda because of the sugar, but a lot of these places sell Gatorade or Vitamin Water, which also have sugar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.