1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

When is there only free food?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Haven't covered a game in over a decade, but at old Giants Stadium the dining room had only free food. I guess you could leave the press box get on the elevator and find the hit dog vendor and bring it back to the press box.

3. SnarkShark

If food wasn't provided, what would you do? You'd bring your own food or buy your own food.

Like I said, this ship has sailed. Free food and journalists go hand-in-hand now.

4. cjericho

All the teams in your area charge the media? Guess now most teams do. The Yankees, Rangers and Knicks started to charge around 99-00 IIRC. Someone here probably knows for sure. But before that the food in the media dining room was free. Would think the Giants and Jets now also charge, but in early 00s it was still free.

5. cjericho

So it was wrong to eat the free food? If it wasn't there I would probably just eat before and after the game. Saw people, well one guy that I definitely recall, taking stuff home after a game. That is completely uncalled for, but never saw anything wrong with eating before the game if the food was free in the dining room. I'd always leave a tip if they had a glass out, which some cheap fucks making a decent amount of money didn't do.

6. SnarkShark

You should not accept free food, or anything else--gifts, giveaways, etc.--from a team, league or subject you cover.

If you have dinner with a source, would you let them pick up the check? I'd hope not.

7. cjericho

No I wouldn't, but in the past teams had free food in the media dining room. Before the late 90s-00s, I will bet you could not find a beat writer or anyone who covered the NY teams, who never ate for free at a game. Can't say for sure, but would think it was the same in other cities.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't think there's been free meals in MLB press boxes for years. If anyone here has an MLB beat or is a member of the BBWAA, they can provide more details.

9. cjericho

Pretty sure with the Yankees it was late 90s. What about NFL teams? they all charge now?

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, definitely tell him to fuck off, and with a nail-studded 2x4 ...

11. SnarkShark

I never was on the beat, but I filled in from time to time. Never saw any free food.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I covered many, many college and professional games and eating free press box food did not affect my reporting one iota.

I have put my foot down on rare occasions an individual offered something because they liked a story. Come to think of it, that mostly involved food. I'm getting hungry!

BurnsWhenIPee and fossywriter8 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.