1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not always. I’ve had homemade apple cobbler and banana pudding at hs games.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to say that in my time at the Herald I covered high school games in Eastern Mass. in just about every sport, especially football, and there was NEVER any food provided unless you bought concession stand stuff (not recommended). You guys live in a different world.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We have a big football doubleheader event that kicks off the season each year and they have a hospitality tent for that, but for regular high school games I've never seen or been aware of any kind of spread. Sometimes I have to haggle to get a program for free. You think they're letting burgers out the door for nothing?

When I do eat at high school events it's usually at baseball. A burger or a hot dog to hold me over until I can get something better on the way home or back to the office. I've gotten some freebies there, when they're giving away the leftovers after the game.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I didn't eat at swim meets, I'd have passed out on the pool deck.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Those sold out on Friday before I could buy one.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

On a somber note, eating ***** at the high school game is not recommended.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Usually show up early in the second half of the JV game just to stake my territory, then I'll grab some grub from the concessions. It's standard stadium fare most of the time, but more often than not the booth is run by another school team or a club, so I figure it's a way of giving back.

The Central Section basketball finals are a two-day affair at Selland Arena in Fresno, which is catered each night by a local restaurant. The local juco has an excellent culinary school (the women's golf coach bragged that's how he snagged one recruit) and would have a hospitality area in the gym for the women's basketball tournament. And that's about all I got.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

They make a mean burger over at Gunter High.

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Many of the big HS stadiums in Texas have food in the press box, and a lot of it. Depending on the stadium, you can get some really good food. To the photo editor, they can just mind their own business and starve.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Seems appropriate right here ...

Liut likes this.
  11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Eat as much as you damn well want to. Eat before and during the game.

And if you're lucky enough to be somewhere where they plop some free food down, eat as much as you can. And if an AD is going to the concession stand and asks if you want anything on his dime, ALWAYS say yes.

There are almost no perks in this job. Your photo editor is a douchebag.

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

You should buy a whole pizza, sit next to his desk, eat every fucking slice and ask him if he wants any after it's all gone.

This is the most absurd thing I've seen on here in some time.

IT'S FREE FOOD FOR WORKING MEDIA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.