1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Recently our photo editor, who is a stickler for competence, chided me for buying a slice of pizza and a drink at a high school game, before the game.
    I finished eating it before the game and bought it with my own money. I don't see what the problem is.
    He said that he can't do it. Maybe it's a photo department rule or the nature of his job doesn't leave time to eat at events. Or maybe it's one of those "If we have to do it or can't do it, then you have to do it or can't do it."
    Does it look unprofessional to eat at a game before a or halftime? I mean I know I'm there to work, not eat, but if I'm not otherwise occupied at a certain time, what's the problem?
    Does it matter? Does anyone here work for a place that has rules about it?
    Of course, maybe he's just busting my balls?

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Tell him to fuck off.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Seriously. Tell him to fuck off.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

^^ What they said. ^^

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this for real?

Alma likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't think it's unprofessional, but most of the food at hs games sucks.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If he's a stickler for competence, he shouldn't want you to work while you're hungry.

Sounds like he's just an asshole.

Tweener and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Sadly, yes.

9. Smallpotatoes

It's not great, but I've had some good burgers and pizza in different places.
    Sometimes with traffic being what it is, I don't have time to stop someplace before a game and most places are closed after the game.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He'll misspell someone's name in the caption he submits. Mark it up and leave it in his mailbox.

stix and Doc Holliday like this.
  11. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

How did your photo editor find out about your pregame dining habits? Was he working at the game? Did some reader he bowls with on Tuesdays see you scarfing down the pizza and tell him that you look unprofessional? Was he angry that you paid for the pizza and possibly threatened his free-food-at-the-games jig?

The answer to that question doesn't really matter. My advise is much like everyone above me on this thread.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had a slice of pizza, peanut butter cups and a Blowpop at halftime tonight. Probably why my gamer sucked.

Baron Scicluna and Roscablo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.