1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eat sh*t, Cal Ripken

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jan 29, 2013.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Here, it isn't pride. We don't get sick days so people come in to work because they don't want to waste a vacation day when they're "just sick."

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And it's just semantics that she didn't use a sick day. She used vacation days to account for doctor's appointments. So she did miss time for being sick.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not just semantics. Nobody's selling her as the most healthy person in the world.

Only one with a good work ethic.

Everybody uses their vacation time. Not everybody uses their sick time. She's one of the rare ones who never used her sick time --- who worked every day she was SCHEDULED to work (vacations are scheduled, too).

5. TheSportsPredictor

Lots of people have good work ethics. Millions of them. This woman is being presented as someone with a unique work ethic. Or at least a great work ethic.

But the inference of both the article and the thread headline is that she didn't miss a day of work due to illness. That's not true. She simply accounted for doctor's appointments as vacation days.

Perhaps she scheduled her vacations weeks in advance like most everyone else and then went to the doctor those days. Maybe she scheduled them a few days ahead of time when she was feeling sick, then used the vacation day to go to the doctor.

What we do know that she in fact did miss work due to medical reasons. She just accounted for them in other ways than by using sick time.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's easy to have a good work ethic when you get every single holiday off... :D

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're really splitting hairs here. The key to me is that she never missed a scheduled work day because of illness. Nobody ever got a call on their day off and was told, "We need you to come in today. Deborah called in sick vacation today."

And to anyone who deals with schedule making and asking people to work 6- or 7-day weeks or overtime, those kinds of workers are a godsend. Like having a car that starts up EVERY time and never leaves you stranded, you typically don't appreciate them until you buy (or hire) something less reliable.

8. TheSportsPredictor

I'm not splitting hairs at all.

I'm saying she did miss work due to illness.

The sick days were simply recorded as vacation days. And who knows what her co-workers were asked to do on those days.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My employer tells us to stay home if we get sick.

10. Topher Grace played Cal Ripken for his first 3 seasons in Baltimore.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In 1997, Topher Grace turned the lights out at Camden Yards so Cal Ripken could have an affair with Kevin Costner.

Draft saved Draft deleted