1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easter comes two months early at my house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Feb 27, 2011.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

According to my calendar, Easter is supposed to be on April 24th.

Imagine my surprise when I get home from covering state wrestling championships yesterday to discover that my little ones have returned from grandma's house will Easter baskets.

And I'm not talking about just a bag of M&M's and a Cadbury egg. Oh no. It's a full-bore Easter basket assault, complete with pastel colored peeps, a chocolate bar in the form of a cross, Easter jelly beans, chocolate bunnies, marshmallow bunnies.

My mother-in-law--love her to death, gets a little overly excited about these events.

This is the same woman who shows up at our house one week before Christmas to give her gifts to my kids, completely ruining the gift-opening experience we should be having at her house when we arrive on Christmas day for dinner.

This is the same woman who arrives at our house at least an hour before other guests at our kids' birthday parties and gives them their presents to open then "because she's afraid hers will get lost in all the excitement from the other people."

Now this woman loves my kids and I really, really appreciate that.

But jeez, it's two months before a holiday and you are already giving them their treats. Really? I just think it's a little over the top. It's not like she lives out of the area and only sees them a couple of times per year. Her house is 10 minutes up the road.

Give me strength.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like she is making things about herself, instead of about the kids. She wants to be special to them, and thinks that is the way to do it. I'm sure she is a loving grandmother, and your kids will adore her as long as they have her. But being grandma to them is actually better achieved by loving them to death, not trying to get noticed by them by jumping up and down in front of them. I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's sort of a right of passage for a lot of grandparents. Grandparents get to be the ones who spoil the kids rotten. All sweets and presents, none of the discipline the parents impose.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about the resurrection of Jesus ...

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait till she drops by to give your daughter her first box of Tampons to take with her to first grade.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's just so wrong.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yet another reminder why we live five hours away from my in-laws.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

This is how my mother would probably be if I had children.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn, and it's not even Lent yet.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How old is she? How's her health?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

All that candy isn't good for them. Can I have the marshmallow bunnies?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why would anyone want Peeps?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, the Krewe of Endymion parade isn't until March 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted