1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Valley Tribune gets hammered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sbordow, Oct 6, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the late Bob Moran.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That really sucks. I think most newspaper companies are starting to get used to the idea that "this" is the new "normal" for the industry and waiting for things to return to pre-mortgage mess levels is just plain naive.
    Operate like those aren't ever coming back and if they do, consider it a bonus.

3. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Son of a ... my wife used to be a city beat reporter at this place and we know tons of people there, including many on Cosmo's list ... this is just sickening. I know many of us have been through layoffs, but half the company getting the ax seems especially cruel.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They offered me a job in 1982, but I took a different offer. At the time, they were owned by Cox and had not yet bought the Scottsdale Progress and Chandler Arizonan, and the Mesa Tribune and Tempe Daily News were still separate products. Eventually, the four dailies would be merged into one product. They were doing a lot of freewheeling stuff with design and packaging (for that era). It was interesting to watch them, over the next quarter-century, evolve into what I considered one of the nation's best suburban papers, especially its sports section. You folks did some great work, and while it's grim right now, try to remember all you accomplished and be proud of it.

5. azom

azom Member

This sucks.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No kidding. I always thought EVT did as good a job as the Republic, if not better in some cases. The Phoenix market just got a lot worse for the wear.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

This one hurts. Bad. I know quite a few people -- good people -- who made the climb from Yuma to Mesa, and I just hope they land on their feet, one way or another.

That said, the withering of Freedom Communications continues.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Rats. Have a pal there. Waiting to hear if he made the cut or not, and not sure whether he'll want to have made it, either.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The even worse news is that publishers at other secondary papers in big markets are looking at this and saying,
    "Wow, good idea ......."

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

wow. ??? went to school at ASU...used to read both papers every single day. still have some friends there.

best of luck to all of you...

11. It's been said before but needs repeating - If you work at a Freedom property you should be actively seeking employment elsewhere so when the hammer drops you'll be prepared or miss the blow altogether. It's going to get REAL ugly at these shops by the end of the year when the books are added up (as if this isn't ugly enough).

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you're going to do this, why not go all the way and close up shop? Seriously. This is awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted