1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Valley Tribune, AZ/Sports Designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Company: The East Valley Tribune
    Position: Seeking Sports Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 19, 2006
    Job ID: 702386

Description:
    The East Valley Tribune, a 100,000-circulation paper in suburban Phoenix, is looking for someone who can make an impact as a sports designer and visual storyteller in one of the fastest-growing markets in the country. The Tribune serves a sports-saturated market in some of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas of the country, including Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa. Experience in InDesign a plus. Send resume, cover letter and non-returnable tear sheets to:

Bob Romantic Executive Sports Editor The East Valley/Scottsdale Tribune 120 W. 1st Ave. Mesa, AZ 85210 bromantic@aztrib.com

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Might be some people from the Arizona Republic interested in this gig.

3. I know that if you work for the Trib, you aren't allowed to go to the Republic for one year after leaving. Not sure if that works the other way around, though.

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

And yes, the Trib is very serious about enforcing the non-compete they started making people sign in 2002 or so.

5. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I think in some areas the Trib beats up on the Republic, at least in sports. McGruder is the better D-backs writer, and Jerry Brown (columnist/Suns) is very versatile. Trib dominates preps, but that's likely because the Republic doesn't focus on the high schoolers very much. Design wise the Republic is superior though. By far and away.

6. I always thought the Trib offered better Cardinals coverage too, but then again, I was willing to read stories about the Arizona Cardinals, so my judgment is clearly suspect.

7. DesignGuy

DesignGuy New Member

If by "Design wise the Republic is superior though. By far and away." you mean that the Republic makes gamers look like features, overplays stories and drastically underachieves on special sections for the staff and resources that they have, then sure.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know someone in the Trib's entertainment section. I'll see what he can tell me about this place.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's hard to compare the preps in the Trib versus the preps in the Republic. The Republic focuses on the entire Valley, and to a lesser extent, the entire state. The Trib is all about the East Valley. They only overlap in Mesa, Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, etc.

10. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

DesignGuy, I only meant that aesthetically The Rebuplic looks better. For example if you had never seen the two papers before and both were sitting in a news rack, I think the Republic would catch more people's eye. Also, I should have been more direct about the high school coverage. The Trib focuses mainly on the East Valley although they have expanded to schools such as Phoenix St. Mary's in the last year or two. But they dominate the preps coverage in that area, mostly because Les Wilsey has been on the beat for years. It's rare that the EVT gets scooped on preps. And I do recall the EVT beat The Rebuplic on that Wally Backman hire and fire, heavy on the fire. Suns coverage goes to the Rep. Paul Coro is a machine. Now the town just needs a qaulity columnist. Sorry Bordow, Bickley and Boivin (though I think she is the best of the three) are average.

And Ben Seaver knows better than to read about the Cardinals. For shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted