1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Rutherford NJ Gets 2014 Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 25, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This was my first thought.

I like the idea of a cold-weather game as long as there's not a bunch of snow/freezing rain. If there is, it'll likely make for a shitty game.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the problem. It will be a shitty game and perhaps weather will end up determining the winner. I know that can happen during the regular season and other playoff games, but I'm betting the bitching will get a lot louder if it happens in a Super Bowl.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In an odd way, if Northeastern teams DO make this Super Bowl, the idealists here are right, the average fan will have a chance to get a ticket.
    The EASIEST part of the Super Bowl fan experience is scoring a ticket. And it need not be for more or much more than face value if said fan has the guts to hold his money until around Sunday noon.
    The hard part is a hotel room, followed by the cost of transportation. This might not be an issue for this Super Bowl.
    For Redskins, Ravens, Eagles, the home teamers, Patriots and Bills fans, this could be a day trip. For Steelers, Browns, Bengals and Panthers fans, it's a very doable weekend, expense-wise. That's a third of the NFL right there. And if THAT happens, the league will really rethink this idea, because the host city puts up a bundle, and the only it gets it back are things like hotel and meal taxes.
    I covered the Pats off and on for 25 years, and the only times I didn't sleep in my own the night of the game were night games and the occasions I had party plans in Manhattan. Multiply me by 25,000, and you see the financial flaw in this idea for the NFL.
    Economically, they need like a Dolphins-Cardinals New York Super Bowl. Which would insure about 18 inches of snow.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

OK, this one is decided. Where does the NFL go for the 50th Super Bowl? L.A.? Lambeau?

5. outofplace

I would think the next one that goes to a city with bad weather and an outdoor stadium should be another city with a relatively new stadium -- say Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Washington.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The 50th will be in LA. Book it. There will be a host franchise by then.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even if you buy into the warm weather is better argument (which I don't), playing the game in snow is much better than playing it indoors.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The bad weather cities will have to be destinations that people will still want to visit. I can see people heading to NY or Chicago...but Pittsburgh? Cleveland? Green Bay??

As for the 50th...Lambeau would be poetic but seems highly unlikely. The Days Inn and Travelodge can only hold so many people. That one gets a warm weather locale.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Love this. Football is a cold weather sport.

This year's Grey Cup is in Edmonton at the end of November where it will probably be around 10F---if the weather co-operates.

10. Mizzougrad96

There isn't even a hotel in Green Bay that can hold the visiting team. Nothing would be cooler than a Super Bowl at Lambeau, but there isn't the room unless you want to put the media in Milwaukee.

Buffalo couldn't do it either. Pittsburgh might be tough too. Not sure about Cincy. Cleveland could do it, even if people had to spread out a little bit. I doubt it will ever be an issue, but it would be nice to see Denver, Chicago, Philly, Dallas (not really a cold weather), Indy and Kansas City get into the mix. Maybe Minnesota too if the Vikings ever get a new stadium.

11. Mizzougrad96

Super Bowl I was at The Rose Bowl right? or was it Miami?

Either way, that's where 50 should be.

12. outofplace

Just saying those would be better options than Lambeau. Better equipped to handle a Super Bowl and relatively new stadiums.

Pittsburgh could probably handle a Super Bowl, at least as well as Cleveland could. Also have to think about franchises with influence in the league, which puts Pittsburgh up there.

Now that the league has put one in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather city, you have to imagine that there are some other franchises that had previously let it slide asking when their turn comes.

Draft saved Draft deleted