1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Rutherford NJ Gets 2014 Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 25, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe that'll allow some actual fans to attend the game.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Give the game back to the fans. If some corporate fuck doesn't want to sit in 30 degree weather, there will be some true fan who is. The suits can get luxury box seats and the real fans will brave whatever weather they have to to see the game.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, average HIGH. But ... the game will kick off at 6:30 p.m., at least two hours after the sun will have set, so it will be in the 30s -- on a "nice" day.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There were lots of empty seats during the monsoon three years ago when the Colts beat the Bears.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

New England is tough because Foxboro is so far away from Boston or Providence. Not a lot of hotels close to stadium.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

This year the SB was on Feb 7th.

On Feb. 6th the DC/Baltimore/Philly corridor received 20-30 inches of snow.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's true and Washington can't host for probably the same reason. But Philly, Seattle, Denver and Chicago have great stadiums in great locations that would be perfect to host a game.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A nice ice storm, with massive area power failures. That's the ticket to putting this stupid idea of its misery, or rather, the spectators' misery.
    PS: Ever driven in north Jersey on a Sunday night, any Sunday night? Not fun. On a Super Bowl Sunday night? People will get back from the game AFTER they stuck in Monday morning's rush hour, too.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not a huge fan of this. It will be fine, because NY is a destination city and the Super Bowl apparatus will be fine with with a few days in NYC. The main problem beside the weather is that East Rutherford is not Manhattan, so wherever the officlal hotel is is going to suck. The NFL experience and some of the stuff leading up to the game may get ignored, because visitors will be staying in NY and are not venturing out there until the game -- unless they do the pre-game activities in the Javitt's Center? It will work, because everyone loves an excuse to party in NY for a few days. But the idea of other cold-weather cities, such as Philly or Pittsburgh, is really a bad idea. People will come because it's the Super Bowl -- they went to Detroit a few years ago. But compared to what you can have in a warm-weather destination such as San Diego or Miami or New Orleans, you're just limiting it and keeping people away. And this is about the money, btw. The NFL gets all their sponsors in town, has the mother of all parties and bleeds them for the money that keeps the league rich. New York, OK. A warm-weather place OK. But by and large, they're just best off sticking with warm weather. People prefer it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the part of the deal I don't get. I know NYC is the U.S. capital of wealthy big shots. But February there sucks for rich and poor alike. Wouldn't the big shots prefer a weekend getaway someplace nice? They can afford it. It's business entertainment, the sucker taxpayer picks up most of the tab.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

It won't be incredibly worse than any other time there's a big event at the Meadowlands on a Sunday night. Jets/Giants games, Boss concerts, etc. The traffic sucks. But let's not get carried away with that.

The problem is the potential for crippling storms like we had up here this February, and the guarantee that it will be very cold and very uncomfortable as the game moves along. Yeah, the football players will deal with it, but even a high percentage of fans, the ones who will be able to afford the $1,000 price tag on the ticket, will have their experience negatively affected if it's 8 degrees and windy as hell.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If the casual fan could afford seats there would never be empty seats. I know that sounds sort of dumb - but if I got to go to the Super Bowl you would have to pull me out of my seat. I wouldn't get up.

Draft saved Draft deleted