1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Rutherford NJ Gets 2014 Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 25, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the cold weather cities. But I'd put Pittsburgh ahead of Philly on the list.

I hope NYC is hit with 6 inches of snow the day of the Super Bowl. Because bad weather makes football more enjoyable to watch.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since when did the NFL turn this into some BS reality show? I figured these decisions were made by the suits. Build the stadium - get the Super Bowl and the games were doled out on some kind of rotation. Do I really think owners will go into a meeting, televised or not, not knowing what the outcome will be? No. They didn't spend hundreds of millions of dollars to look like a reality show loser.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Denver would also have the potential to just dump snow. I'd love to see the game played as 18 inches of snow fall on the field.

One of the things I love about football is how they don't cancel games because of the weather. If memory serves, the games that are considered the best in NFL history 1958 title game and Ice Bowl were both played in cold weather.

4. Mizzougrad96

Pittsburgh would be another GREAT place for the Super Bowl.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely. Football is not meant to be played in 80 degree weather or in a dome.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Denver could get hit hard by a snowstorm, but February is actually pretty calm. It's March and the early part of April where the big snow comes in.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And now that the NFL has gone down this path, it should open it to other cold-weather places, say every three or four years.

8. Mizzougrad96

I like that they reward places that have built new stadiums, but Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Denver, Seattle and Cincinnati (I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple) all have stadiums that have been built within the last decade and they should all have a chance to get the game.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read Jim Trotter's story on the deal. Can't say I disagree. The thing that jumped out was the stat that February's avg. HIGH in E. Rutherford is 40 degrees, (36 at kickoff). And that's all of Feb. Not early Feb. when the game is played.
    The NFL better have a bunch of seat-fillers ready because I really doubt the typical SB crowd is going to cotton to sitting outdoors in 30 degree weather. It's going to look like an Atlanta Hawks game.

And lets all be clear - this isn't happening because the NFL wants a cold-weather Super Bowl - it's because sponsors want it there. Detroit hosted two SBs because of the auto industry, and that's the only reason. Don't hold your breath unless your city is home to a bigtime NFL sponsor.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tough luck for the typical Super Bowl crowd. I would like to see a study of how many games are played in 35 to 40 degree weather. I bet there is a fair amount during average season. I hear the argument that warm weather teams could be penalized but you could make same argument about cold weather teams.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wait a minute.....are you saying money talks?

Who knew?

12. Mizzougrad96

Detroit got one because Ford is one of the NFL's biggest sponsors and the Lions put up a new stadium.

Houston got one because it paid $800 million for a franchise.

Jacksonville got one because the NFL fucked up. ;D

Sponsors will love a NYC game, but I find it hard to believe Chicago wouldn't be a great place for the Super Bowl as well. New England and Philly are also huge markets that would do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted