1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East is east, West is west - Central may be gone. MLB ponders changes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 12, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

It depends on whether they still keep the unbalanced schedule within the divisions. But still: year-long interleague is just going to make it lose its "coolness." I happen to like the "rivalry" series they have but it's challenging to get up for, say, Padres/Royals. Then again, Padres/Mariners isn't much better.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Interleague play works if for no other reason than giving out of region fans a legitimate shot at seeing their faves live, occasionally.

Yeah, talk the Yanks/Red Sox out of their billion games a year. Riiiiiiight. The rest of the nation yawns, but they love the attention -- and the cash.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

As long as the Yankees and Red Sox keep winning, all franchises increase in value. Even a sad sack like Toronto has doubled its investment since the Yankees and Red Sox began measuring cocks.

But, by God, don't make it even easier for them to get to the playoffs.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And Baltimore keeps on being mostly foreskin.

5. Herbert Anchovy

"And here I thought you fellas couldn't get enough of my interleague."

[​IMG]

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I believe one of the reasons for Houston being the move candidate is that they are for sale, so Bud could just say to whoever the new owner is: "Your approval is contingent on your accepting this move." that way he wouldn't have to move a current owner against his wishes.

Also, the Houston-Texas rivarly thing makes sense from Texas' standpoint, too. Right now they play a lot of their games on the west coast, which isn't good for TV ratings.

Personally I think the whole thing is unnecessary.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Colorado or the Nationals make sense for a move? The Nationals certainly don't have any long-standing ties....at least the Rockies made a WS in the past few years.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Colorado is the odd duck in a division of extreme pitchers' parks.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Union wants this. That's why its being trial ballooned.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem if interleague is spread throughout the year instead of just a couple of designated weekends. I don't think there's anything wrong with having Team X's fans be allowed to see at least every single team over a two-year period if they want, instead of the current setup where you might go five or six without ever seeing St. Louis.

You could have everyone in one league play nine games against everybody in the league -- 126 games. Then a three-game series against 12 of the 15 in the other league — 36. Then the following year's cycle adds in the three everyone missed and repeat. The schedule balance would be a lot more even that it is now in terms of the interleague balance.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can people stop bitching about the horrible injustice that is the unbalanced schedule? It's so stupid.

No other sport has an unbalanced schedule. Baseball hasn't had a true unbalanced schedule since the 60s. During the 26-team era from 1977-92, the NL had an unbalanced schedule. There was no wild card, so it didn't matter as much, but in theory, you could have played one more series against a shit team that could determine a division title.

How comes there's no bitching about inbalanced schedules in other sports? In the NFL, its a fact of life that there will be a playoff team or two that get in because they drew an easy division in the NFC-AFC games or in the intra-conference games. The NBA and NHL schedules have never been balanced either.

The colleges are a total mess when it comes to scheduling.

To me, just shut the fuck up and play. And this comes from a Brewers fan, whose team will have to play at Boston and at the Yankees this year to protect their division lead while the Cardinals play the Orioles and Blue Jays.

That sucks, but life sucks. Just worry about the games you have and STFU about the "injustice" of it all.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of interleague and I don't see it as boring. I like seeing interesting and bad matchups. I loved seeing the Cubs play in Fenway several weeks ago.

But as I asked earlier on this thread, would it help the scheduling if MLB cut interleague play to about 2 series per year? Six is too much IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted