1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East is east, West is west - Central may be gone. MLB ponders changes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I just don't see any team leaving that division (NLC) without some resistance. It might be a bad division, but there's decent acrimony among most of the teams, and it's never a lock.

Even the Astros can rely on some uptick in attendance when the Cubs and Cardinals come to town, saying nothing about the competitive advantage of playing in the division. Certainly the Brewers, the way this team is built, like their chances playing those teams 78 times a year and the regional draw along with it.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

As Bubbler mentioned a few posts ago, Washington in an NL city with an AL heritage. Not sure though if Aramos would go for that, though.

Also, 16 teams in one and 14 in the other has worked for 35 years. I wouldn't have a problem with it staying like that. The trouble, though, comes in trying to create a balanced schedule.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Because there would be a stronger need for a DH for National League teams. And more games with a DH is bad for baseball.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere (Rob Neyer?) that Houston volunteered itself for the move.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Interleague play every day dilutes the idea of interleague play, which was sold to the masses on it being condensed into two or three weeks a year.

IMO, they should ditch the idea entirely.

This plan is almost as bad as that floated years ago about aligning everything east-west and doing away with the AL and NL.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Settle all ties with a martini drinking contest between pitching coaches.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Interleague play has been diluted and it's boring already. Just get rid of it. It was a neat fad for a little while. But today it's passe.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hard slotting would be a greater benefit than realigning.

The logistics of the thing don't work. Baseball needs to learn to live with some of its mistakes. Not all are so easily fixable.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yes, interleague play is boring already, but it's a guaranteed gate home run for many teams.

10. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Hard slotting plus forcing international players into the draft. I have no idea if it could work logistically, but it'd make a huge difference in competitive balance (which isn't that bad to begin with).

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But, but... ESPN won't be able to show every single Yankees-Mets game! We'll be stuck with only Yankees-Red Sox games!

12. There's no need to increase the number of interleague games. They would just be distributed throughout the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted