1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East is east, West is west - Central may be gone. MLB ponders changes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That and probably a goal of a Texas-Houston division rivalry.

2. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Half their revenue comes from Cubs fans coming up.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bob Costas advocated for moving Houston to the AL and having 15 each in both leagues in one of his books 10+ years ago?

A pal of mine asked why don't they move Milwaukee back, and I told him that when the Braves were in Milwaukee, they were a NL team, and baseball (IIRC) have always seen Milwaukee as a NL town than an AL.

I can see the Astros and the Rangers having a nice in-state rivalry, much like Philly and Pittsburgh.

The schedules and the playoff format will be a huge issue.

What would be the outcome if MLB cut out one interleague series, or possibly two?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just get rid of the divisions period. Top five teams on each side make the playoffs.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is five teams making the playoffs now a foregone conclusion?

Four is plenty. A one game playoff between four & five sounds gimmicky to me.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree that four is plenty, but it seems it will be five.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree, plus, I like the rarity of a one-game playoff to make the playoffs in case of a tie. It's not something that should happen every single year.

8. The Bucs and Phils are about as phony a "rivalry" as it gets.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

No divisions and add relegation.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I like the 15-team division and top five making the playoffs. Only concern I have is with Interleague play -- how many games and teams?

And if you were to go back to east/west divisions (doubtful in a 15-team league), I'd rather see the Reds move back to the NL West. A lot of Reds fans (me included) miss the playing the Dodgers. That's a rivalry that's died out in recent years.

I also think moving Florida/Miami to the AL would be better than Houston or Milwaukee. I'd imagine there are more Yankee and Red Sox fans in Miami than Marlins fans.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be fucking great?

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I would be wary of any sort of playoff format that includes byes. Remember the '06 Tigers and '07 Rockies who swept their LCS, then waited while the other LCS went 7. World Series comes around and the fresh team that had been sitting around for a week got crushed.

Draft saved Draft deleted